frozen shad around Charlotte NC?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by tuscan toadfish, Dec 5, 2009.

1. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Active Member

State:
    Matthews,
    I live in Matthews and wanted to know if anyone sells frozen shad for bait around home? I will be fishing for the big "Blue Cats" on Badin Lake this week. I know there is a Citgo close to the lake that sells frozen shad but I would like to get my bait before I go, in-case they are out. I plan on fishing close to the upper dam, as far up as I can get in my 18' camo aluminum boat, without getting into the big rocks. I will be fishing 10 rods, with live bream on some and cut-bait frozen shad on some others. I will look for baitfish on my depthfinder to fish under. Any other advice would be appreciated and thanks for all I have learned through this great forum! I will let everyone know how I do. (P.S. sorry for posting this first on the flathead forum. I have been reading it throughout the summer to learn to fish for flatheads on High Rock Lake.)

2. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Ted-I am just outside of matthews also. Shoot me a pm and let me know where you are?
    You can possibly net some shad up in gar creek. i havent been there but maybe the regular badin guys can help you out some. We also netted some blue backs up between the two walls at the upper dam but not sure if they are still up there.
    There is not any frozen bait in our area that i know of. Gotta drive to lake norman area or down below rock hill. I started netting up extra bait on trips to wateree and save up for later trips.
    dont forget to post up some results.

3. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Push comes to shove , Tamarac Marina on High Rock sells them for $2 a bag. They work wonders.

4. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Also I failed to mention the fact you can also catch shad at Tuckertown Dam , at the upper end. It is rocky , but if you proceed with caution , you may just be able to pull it off. If you can't , park a bit downstream and walk to the platform. You can definitely catch some from there. Good Luck!!

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ted, Welcome to the BOC!