frozen bream???

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by nick81, Jun 7, 2009.

1. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    just wondering how well the frozen work vs. fresh we caught a nice mess of smaller ones and plan on using them july 4th weekend. Whats the take on frozen bait?? Also do the heads seem to work better than fillets? thanks

2. Chalk

Chalk New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    imao fresh is always better but frozen is better than nothing. I have caught fish on both.:wink:

3. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    I have always caught my bream and froze them til I went fishing, I usually catch fish, not saying that live cut bait isnt good or even better, but you should have no trouble with using a frozed bream....and I always have better luck with the heads vs. any other part...but have caught fish on all.:big_smile:

4. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    i use frozen bream i catch earlier in the year with no problem catching nice cats. i agree, heads work best.

5. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Do you like a steak that has been in the freezer or one fresh cut .Both are steak but the one will be fresh, and taste better.:wink:Frozen works obviously and the head seems to be better for a simple reason.It contains the gills and lots of blood.Filets tend to lose their flavor quicker IMO.You use what you have,but catching some fresh white perch is so easy I wouldnt bother to freeze them.Now this is if you are going to Santee,I dont know about the availabilty of perch and brim anywhere else.:big_smile:

6. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    I have a freezer full of bream heads! The cool thing is that it is refuse left over from a fish cleaning. I eat the bream and use their heads to catch more fish and eat them too!:smile2: I would rather have fresh, who wouldn't? When I get a few hours one evening to run to Lowfalls and fish for a little it's nice to spend my time fishing and not looking for bait. :wink:

7. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Nick I will agree with most everything. Fresh is always better but .....
    use what ya got.
    I havent caught any pearch at Santee in some time, but , if I remember, a small spoon or red worms near the bottom around the Hills Bridge or down at the rock markers at the endof the canal would be a good place to start.
    We use to catch'em in the casting net but my son tore it up :big_smile:
    Bream should be just about anywhere. depending on where you start from. The docks around hills and canal lakes or the bushes in the coves should be a good starting point.
    IF all else fails, you got the frozen..right?

8. nick81

nick81 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    :roll_eyes::wink:

9. Mark Williams

Mark Williams New Member

State:
    Union, South Carolina
    Jim, how do you catch your white perch?

10. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i use frozen minnows with good success i have the local bait shop keep all the dead minnows they have , they freeze them and i'll pick them up once a week or so the best part is its free

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Sabiki rigs tipped with red worms. Bounce it off the bottom and wait till it's loaded up with fish. You can tip the hooks with just about anything, it all works.

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I use a sabiki tipped with, what else, pieces of lucky scrimps :smile2: And I have caught bow-coo white perch, bream, crappie, and the occasional whisker fish. Caught a nice 2-pounder the other day while fishing with Mr. Man-Cola hisself!

13. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
  14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Be mindful of the creel limit with the bluegill frozen or not. GW's will not care if they are froze or swimming if they are over the limit.

15. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Anyone have a good way to keep that sabaki from catching every around like: kids, dogs, carpet, clothes, and other rod and reels. Right now I have one tied on a rod and shoved inside a piece of pvc pipe to keep it from hooking everything. I'm sure someone has a better idea than PVC Pipe to keep that monster in control.:big_smile:

16. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    they make a sabiki rod that is hollow and u reel the rig up into the rod and the sinker stops at the tip.wish i would have thought of that:cool2:

17. Redneck in a Skiboat

Redneck in a Skiboat New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Thats pretty sharp. Where do you get one at?

18. Cutbait101

Cutbait101 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    cabelas has them.also google sabiki rod,there are a lot of online dealers:wink: think im going to get me a couple,im tried of digging those hooks out of me too:eek:oooh:

19. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Cabela's makes a rod that is called the 'Interflow'. The line actually runs throught the middle of the pole so no eyes necessary. I have one but don't use it for my Sabiki outfit. It would work nicely though.

20. Zero

Zero New Member

State:
    SC
    Frozen works, but try to catch or net some white perch, the blues love 'em, live or fillets. Haven't caught any on perch heads yet.