Frozen Bream okay?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by justbfishin, Oct 2, 2009.

1. justbfishin

justbfishin New Member

State:
    Hope Mills
    Hello all,

I've just moved to Fayetteville NC recently and I'm trying to learn to catfish on this beautiful river here (cape fear). From what I've learned on this site plus talking to locals, it seems bream are the bait of choice here. I'm not picky about what type of catfish, or even the size, although bigger is always better, I just want to get some fish on the end of my lines.

A local here showed me a pond in his neighborhood where I can catch some bream, so I caught about 10 or so the other day and put them in the freezer in vacuum sealed bags. I could go out there again and catch a few live ones before we go fishing tonight, however, that would eat into our fishing time since we're going right after work today.

My question is whether using the frozen bream as cut bait will be just as good as live bream, or is it worth it to lose an hour or so catching some live bream before we head out?

Thanks, I will let you guys know if we have any luck tonight.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Any frozen fish for bait is "OK", but FRESH is always better! WELCOME to the BOC from South Carolina!

Bb in SC

3. Duckpoor

Duckpoor New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The old veterans at our fishing camp used to salt their cut bait and store it cold but dry.
    I would think making your gills hook ready, that is, patted dry and well salted , then stored in a Ziplock bag in the cooler should serve you well.

Freezing seems to change the texture somehow but I would think they will still work just about as well.
    Packaged in small batches they would sure be convient.

ron

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Brandon. Good advice above.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Brandon Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois.:0a22::0a22::0a25:

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have used all kinds of frozen bait, it is just Ok...Fresh is 100 percent better...I have caught fish on frozen bait, and some big fish, but they have been few.

7. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Have any of you guys who use frozen cut bait ever froze it on the hook? So you just take it out of the freezer, tie it on and cast it out?

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Not me, I would see no need to do that? me I just cut a piece off and put it on the hook frozen.

Just a heads up, when using frozen bait, keep it on ice and let it thaw slOWLY.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2009
  9. Rollinunknown

Rollinunknown New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Missouri
    thats 100% for sure... if not your bait is mushy!:wink:

10. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Very good thanks!

11. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Of course fresh is best but many of us use frozen. Welcome to the BOC Brandon... tight lines :wink:

12. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    its certainly ok to use frozen bream, i keep my freezer stocked as much as possible to fish for blues. i freeze shad and carp also. brandon, you sould go ahead and catch you some more while you still can and stock up if you plannin to fish any this winter. sometimes bait gets scarce.

13. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I've tried frozen and live.. live works best for me.:wink: IMPO they have their times.

14. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC. I have used frozen bait with good success. Sometimes the bait does get softer, but it still smells like fish just the same. Good luck

15. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Exactly. Good post bro!:wink:

16. festus

festus New Member

Frozen bluegill works well but of course it isn't as good as fresh. I fillet the bluegills and leave the scales on. This makes them stay on the hook better and they're less likely to be ripped off by bait stealers. Then I cut them into strips or squares about 1-1/2". Also I cut out any boneless strips out of the remainder and save the head and freeze those also. I freeze a few at a time in the little ziplock snack bags making sure I don't stack any pieces on top of each other. Before I go out fishing, I make sure I thaw them in the fridge, if you leave them out unrefrigerated they're more apt to get mushy. Then I keep them on ice until I bait my hook.

17. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    Personally i would loose and hour and catch a few live ones, but if you dont have the time, frozen will work too....i like a live bait for flatheads, and cut bait for the rest, although you can catch everything on anything if the mood stikes them....like Bill SC said, frozen is good, but fresh is better...

18. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Fishing them fresh is the best way that way they bleed,But frozen will work to,Pat them dry put salt on them, And put 4 or 5 of them in per bag depending on there size :big_smile::cool2: