Frozen Bream for bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by NCCatter, Apr 6, 2006.

1. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Has anyone ever used frozen bream for bait? I have with very little luck...I have caught some and let them sour for a day and had great results, but baiting the hook was not fun at all!

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    I have in the past. Froze them whole in water. They tended to seem a little mushy and not worth it. I found they made better chum than bait. Run them through a grinder and fill soda bottles or small cans with them. Put holes in the container, tie small cord the length you want to reach the area you want to chum and you have good chum that is easy to use.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yep, same here. I agree to use them for chum, do exactly what she said.

4. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    I have frozen them without the water. I just put them on trays in the freezer to freeze up good. When frozen I put them in zip lockbags and they worked pretty good. I have done this with herring also after cutting them in half first.
    When freezing them dry and putting them in ziplocks they do not stick together as well. Cutting them first allows me to just take out a piece at a time from the cooler. Saves a lot of mess.

5. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    We have been using frozen bream for bait with very good results all winter.We have been puzzling about something and I would like to open it up for discussion here. Two friends have limited out two days this week on Tuesday and Friday fishing with jug lines on the river using frozen bream and frozen Shad. Other friends fished the same area with the same equipment rigged the same way. One group caught five fish the other group caught two fish. What is going on? Our best guess is the size of the bait. The guys catching the most fish will make three or four baits out of a small fish. We think the other guys may be using larger chunks. Any body got any thoughts on this? The fresh cut shad will produce more than whole shad. Our shad are small about 4" max.

6. Addicted2Cats

Addicted2Cats New Member

State:
    West Chester, Ohio
    I friend of mine freezes them. He has some left over from last season that were gunna try tomarow. I bet those puppys are gunna stink real bad when they thaw! I'll let you know how they work out.