Frozen Bluegill

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by raiderhawk, Aug 13, 2009.

1. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello everybody,

I went out to get bait this morning and all the baitshop that I usually go to had was frozen bluegill. I bought some but really dont have any confidence in them. Does anybody use frozen bluegill and if so what is the best way to thaw them. Thanks!

2. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    We use them all the time. I usually set them out to thaw out a little about 30 minutes before I leave to go. We use a small cooler with ice on the bottom and set the gills on top of the ice. They are great in the spring and sometimes in the summer. We use them whole and cut. The heads are great bait at times. Dont let them set out too long in the sun as they will go bad in a hurry. If you catfish much then you know that there is no one bait that works great all the time. You just have to take a few baits and see what they want.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009

3. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i am going to 2nd this :big_smile::big_smile:

4. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I soak em in the lake water and that thaws fairly quick & as well i try to spread the scent.:big_smile: Hope this helps!

5. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    thanks guys. Tried them tonight and they worked pretty well. I now have confidence in them :)

6. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    Did you have some luck? Welcome to the BOC Mark!

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    They work well. I use frozen bait in the fall.

8. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Never waste dead baitfish, bluegills especially. Unless they are decomposing
    enough to go soft, you can freeze them and use them for cutbait later.

In the early spring, I cruise the shorelines of local reserviors for shad that
    died of brainfreeze when picking at the bottom of the surface ice. Sometimes
    these are the 12inchers that drift in barely moving and these will freeze
    up fine for later use if you pick them up before scavengers get to them.
    They make fine cutbait even if they've been froze long enough to freezer
    burn. The guts are real good once the ice is gone and cats are waking up.

9. raiderhawk

raiderhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Ya the girlfriend and I had some decent luck last night, nothing huge but we caught 7 channels with the biggest one pushing 10 lbs. She caught it and had a blast reeling it in. Forgot the camera so no pictures though. Had crawdads, worms, and some live bait and we caught all of them on the frozen cutbait.

10. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK
    I've used frozen shad and shiners before and they've worked well. I don't usually freeze the gills because they're abundant and I always prefer throwing fresh cut bait out there but they'll definitly work.

11. rcbbracing

rcbbracing New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I always seem to have some frozen bait just incase. But fresh always seems to work best for me. But not always just most times. Like was already said just have to find out what they like, ya never know.

12. snakeman76

snakeman76 New Member

State:
    Tallahassee, Fl
    The blues and channels dont seem to mind eating a frozen gill in my area I let my thaw in the water just long enogh to git a hook in it:wink: