Frozen Bait

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by bgoodman498, Jun 4, 2008.

1. bgoodman498

bgoodman498 New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    What are your guys opinon on frozen bait like skipjack and herring. I have been thinking about buying some and giving it a shot up at Smithville Lake this weekend. I'm open to any suggestions on what to use there. Thanks!

2. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    I dont like to use any frozen bait. In my opinion fresh is the only way to go and shad is hard to beat for cats in this part of the country for me anyway. Everybody has their own opinon and on this site you will get a lot of good suggestions from the BOC. Try what the they say. Good luck and give a report when when you get back.

Tom

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    You can try it if you want, but I doubt you'll do any good. You might as well fish with shrimp, chicken livers, cured beef liver, onions, soap, little smokies, hot dogs and all those other "bait" products that folks think will catch fish...

Offer a fish the same food he eats day in and day out and you'll have a whole lot more success. If the only reason you don't use fresh-caught shad for bait is that you don't know to catch them, I'd suggest spending your time and money fixing that problem before you spend your money buying frozen skipjack at $6 each.

Also be careful if you're buying frozen "skipjack" - some of the local shops sell skipjack tuna, a saltwater fish, not skipjack herring.

4. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    <P>Freshly killed is the only way to go. With the water temps rising I just ordered a bait tank. I tried to fish last summer with putting the shad in the livewell. This will work until the water warms. Then I tried putting them on ice. This will work just not as well, However, the best bait is when you put it on the hook just after killing it. Therefore, during the summer I change bait every 20 - 30 minutes to freshen it up (even if I haven't had a bite). Hope this helps.</P>

5. LUNKERCAT

LUNKERCAT New Member

State:
    north dakota
    Catfish are smart, especially the bigger ones. I only use frozen bait when all other options aren't available. I have had some success with frozen goldeye and frogs, but less with smelt and sucker. Even day old or 2 fresh is better than frozen. Good luck