Frozen Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Pier Pressure, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    I use frozen BB's when I downrig for trout or when the shad get abducted in the spring, but they don't stay hooked well at all once frozen. This is something that has toughened up BB's and shad pretty well and they stay on the hook better. Does anyone have any good tricks for frozen bait?

Water:
    2-1/2 gallons of non-chlorinated water.
    Brightness: optional
    3 tablespoons Mrs. Stuart's liquid bluing. Makes scales and skin brighter and more reflective.
    Salt:
    4 cups non-iodized salt, canning salt, rock salt, kosher salt, or road salt.
    Powdered milk:
    1 cup powdered milk. This makes your meat firm without burning herring. This is especially good for herring that has been frozen too slow at the processor, or bait that is too soft.
    Scents: optional
    Garlic oil from a jar of minced garlic or one of the prepared garlic scents.
    Also try adding 2 tablespoons of pure anise oil.
    This recipe will cure 4 to 6 dozen herring overnight.
    Once the herring have firmed up, go ahead an plug cut them. This solution will keep the herring firm for weeks if refrigerated.
    Inject any number of scents to change the scent trail.

2. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    jim i vacume them they still have blood when thawed out try this you will like it they are just like fresh i dry them first then freze them while still kiking

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Do they seem to use as well as fresh fish or just a close second?

What's the longest you've ever kept them frozen and had good results?

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    We took a bag of skip jack on 12-30-07 that was frozen on 2-8-07 and caught 20 blues on it. Don't like frozen shad but frozen skips stay good to use for a long time.

5. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    i freze them while they are still alive i make sure they are dry then vacume seal i have used them 4 months later they still wer like fresh the main thing is that they be alive when you dry them then vacume freze then they will stay good for at least three months

6. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'd have to agree. I freeze bluegills that I have left over and freeze them when they'r still alive and when you thaw them out they're just as good as fresh.

7. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    How do you dry them?

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've had good luck just throwing them in zip-loc baggies soon as I get home and freeze them. I used shad in 2007 that was from 2006 with decent results and not too mushy. The skippies freeze and thaw better IMO.
    Best way is to vacuum seal them soon as possible! They'll last forever-IMO!:wink:

9. Pier Pressure

Pier Pressure New Member

State:
    Mt.Pleasant,NC
    Nearly frozen shad

My 750 gallon bait tank beside my garage finally got to 32* this morning. The salt kept it from forming ice on top I'm sure but we'll see tom. morning. The threadfins were doing the back stroke, but the white perch, bream, BB's and gizzards are doing fine. I need to get a vacuum sealer pretty quick :smile2:.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I freeze shad all the time, I have over 60 bags in my freezer now..I just put them in ziplock bags..When I use them I still keep them in a cooler on ice and theyh dont get mushy...I like to cut them while still froze.

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    when the gizzard shad run in the spring...we fill up the freezer for wintertime blues...This is what I do....

after cast netting or catching on a rod and reel....depends on the type of shad...we put them in coolers...bring them home and IMMEDIATELY vacume seal them....sometimes they are still flopping around as the vacume sealer is pulling the air out of the bag...i do put a paper towel at the top of the bag to prevent the juices from going into the vacume sealer....after that...

right into the freezer...we never had ANY shad go bad we just run out of them...

when we thaw them out they bleed and smell just as bad as they did when we caught them...we have never had problems with soggy shad...

we have had frozen out fish fresh before...just depends on what the cats are in the mood for...

the new in fisherman magazine has an article about wintertime blues...both anglers liked and preferred frozen rather than fresh...the anglers stated the frozen mimicked the dying shad during shad kills...

don't know that we have to worry about shad kills here in nc...especially since they are forecasting temps in the 70's this week...but lake temps are in the high 40's

here are three pictures I just took...these shad were caught in the spring...

Attached Files:

12. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    I totally agree, frozen skips have produced me some nice blues so far this winter. Frozen shad is another story. Skips seem to thaw out not being mushy at all. Shad seems to be really mushy and hard to keep on the hook. Ive even re-froze skips that worked out well the second trip. This would not be possible with shad, in my opinion. I just put 3 or 4 skips in a plastic grocery bag, tie it up and put that inside another bag. I use them fast enough to say Im not sure how long they would stay good this way. rspd507

13. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    For those of you guys that use ZIPLOCKS, heres a little trick to get the air out. Fill up a bucket with water, after you put the bait in the bag close it almost all the way, put the bag in the water up to the zipper part(dont let water in the bag), The water pressure pushes the air out and close the bag the rest of the way.

Hope this helps,

14. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I read in the In-Fisherman Catfish article said that he had found that refrigerated bait 2 to 5 days before he fish consistantly out fished fresh . He felt that it brought the blood and oils more to the surface of the bait/shad which produced more scent . He was talking about Winter time Fishing in this article.