Frozen bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by primitivefrn, Nov 19, 2006.

1. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    does anyone sell, frozen, skipjack or goldeneye,
    Looks like, their is, a market here, if someone wants to develope it.
    If anyone knows, of a place that will ship. info would be great.
    Jim

2. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I often wondered that myself. I think the problem I ran into earlier was finding commercial fisherman that does this because I believe you need a commercial license for this. I know there are frozen mackeral/other salt water bait fish available for sell by commercial guys. But I have not found one for fresh water baitfish yet frozen.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Same conditions exhist here. Plenty of mackeral,menhaden,butter fish and herring but thats about it. Let me add that they all work well for channels especialy the mackeral.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    They sure do. Add to that list bonita as well. My hands down favorite is mackeral and bonita.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    some bait shops are selling "frozen skipjack" but it's actually Skipjack Tuna (as in "from the sea"), not the Skipjack Herring you're looking for.

DougC had some of those skipjack tunas earlier this summer and they were too mushy to stick on a hook. Sold for $3 each and couldn't do a thing with them...

Seems like the thing to do for getting some Skipjack Herring might be to make a trip to the Mississippi or Ohio river and spend a day or two loading up the cooler... I know I've seen other folks here that do that -- just too bad we can't find them in reasonable numbers up in this part of the Missouri River...

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    If anyone knows of a hook up for fresh water skip jack, gizzard shad and shad, I mean the nice size shad perfect for using for cut bait for the blues, I would appreciate it. This was brought up a while ago and a guy stated that he would bag some and send it, but contact was lost with dude.

If any know of commercial guys who work the river and get baitfish and sell them, that will be cool too. I have heard of baitshops in the midwest area and also east that sell shad and ship some as well. I ran across some that ships the cured ones but I am looking for the fresh whole ones to be shiped frozen.

7. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Commercial shad is available frozen in Texas, but its not worth the money. It falls apart and is mushy when it unfreezes.

8. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    catfish connection sells frozen shad fillets I don't know about shipping though seems like some pretty decent stuff I've used it in the past

9. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    I went to SAMs & bought a 5 cu. ft. Deep freezer, since then I have have been filling it full of 30 count bags of --5in up to 10 in shad. I transfer em straight from the cast net to my cooler (on top of the ice) then I freeze them in gallon zip lock bags with water. When I thaw them out - I take em out place them on top of the ice in my bait cooler the night prior (at least 12hrs') and they are good to go for the next day. They are frozen fresh .....when they thaw out the slime coat is still there & they dont mush up on the hook. Im am trying to catch some eels and freeze them & see how they do as a frozen bait.. I also freeze brim..

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

There was aplace online that ships to your door. I can't recall the name right now but I found it doing a yahoo search and typed in frozen shad are herring.

11. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    You can buy frozen shad guts and shad sides on ebay. Go to catfish baits. I haven't ordered any, but they are there.

Jim

12. rangercatman

rangercatman Member

State:
    Cameron, NC
    I forgot to mention earlier.... I have tried using the food saver option when freezing shad & it didnt work as well as the method stated in my earlier post. Im not sure but , I think the reason its working is I am freezing them w/ the slime still on them & not washing them before they get bagged. Again, I completly fill the bag so all the shad are covered w/ water prior to the freezer. They are slimey still when they thaw (12hr thaw). The shad I bagged w/ my food saver didnt do as well for me.

13. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    You almost need to seal shad with an air vacuum, if not those things won't be worth a dime when you go to fish with them. Unless you put them on ice and use them a few hours after being caught.