frozen bait?

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by OrdieGunny, Dec 19, 2017.

1. OrdieGunny

OrdieGunny Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    joe
    Anyone know where I can pick up some frozen bait in the Jacksonville area? Looking for frozen shad, mackerel, mullet, alewife, etc. Live bait is getting tough to come by with the cold weather and I would like to have some back up bait just in case.

Mac-b, Zigarro and Catpaw like this.
  2. OrdieGunny

OrdieGunny Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    joe
    Update: academy sports has frozen shad, chicken liver, chicken hearts, shrimp, crawlers, and squid.

Mac-b and Catpaw like this.

3. Zigarro

Zigarro Well-Known Member

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    We've been bait-casting our net longer to gain a back supply of Gizzard shad which we freeze for the lean months.

Mac-b, Catpaw and OrdieGunny like this.
  4. OrdieGunny

OrdieGunny Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    joe
    I didn't get here till August and haven't had much chance to get on the water. Work, house repairs, and deer season have gotten in the way. Going to hit up lock and dam 2 tomorrow on the ne cape fear and see if me and the girls can pull a couple in. Gonna try the frozen shad from academy and will post a review afterward (forewarning they are all small to mid sized)

Mac-b, Catpaw and Zigarro like this.
  5. OrdieGunny

OrdieGunny Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    joe
    Oh and I grabbed some crawlers to try and snag a few gills for live and cut bait. Not sure how well that will go considering the weather fluctuations

6. CountryboyNC

CountryboyNC Well-Known Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Matthew
    I just left academy few minutes ago, I should have looked to see if they had the frozen shad in my area!

7. Zigarro

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    There are many youtube vids on this but I like this one from Steve Douglas:

8. OrdieGunny

OrdieGunny Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    joe
    Well the frozen shad held up about as you would expect. Kind of mushy but would hold on a hook for a bit. No bites today but will try again and see how it goes. That's why its called fishing instead of catching

9. Zigarro

State:
    N. Texas
    Name:
    L.W.
    Yeah, Joe- you ain't all by yourself on that; many of us ain't catching now it's turned off cold.
    I'm looking wild-eyed for the spring bite!

Mac-b, Catpaw and OrdieGunny like this.
  10. OrdieGunny

OrdieGunny Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    joe
    Gonna keep trying as long as I can stand the cold. Blues should be biting in this cold weather but its been fluctuating so much that its got everything messed up. It was 73 here yesterday. Tomorrow its supposed to be low 50s with a low in the 30s.

Mac-b, Catpaw and Zigarro like this.
  11. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    guys if you have a nuke plant in your area the fish there in the hot water discharge dont know its cold.

12. OrdieGunny

OrdieGunny Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    joe
    i wish we did have one, but all we have is a cold water slow moving river with some depression era rock dams. nothing fancy out this way

James Harp and Mac-b like this.
  13. Toad1977

Toad1977 New Member

State:
    nc
    Name:
    Tom
    Go on eBay and you can order frozen skipjack, there not real cheap but they package them well and they are good quality

Mac-b likes this.
  14. FoggyRiverCatfish

FoggyRiverCatfish Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    put first name
    Gunny id sell you some frozen shad I got last year....but selling game fish would be illegal

Mac-b likes this.
  15. James Harp

James Harp New Member

Name:
    Jim
    Hi Guns, I know its been a long time since you posted this, so you probably know by now, but if not then here's some info for you. Sutton Lake down just outside of Wilmington is fed by the hot water output from the power company. The southeast corner of the lake is fed by the warm discharge water they have used to cool their equipment and that keeps that part of the lake warm year round.

Tight Lines and Semper Fi.

Mac-b likes this.
  16. jonswilliam

jonswilliam New Member

State:
    united states
    Name:
    Jons William
    hi...
    this link will help you to get the frozen chicken

https://victoriasearafrozenchicken.com/

17. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    You can order frozen chicken and have it shipped in. (not real bright) Or you can go to the local grocery stores and buy the cheapest freshest chicken of your choice and freeze it your self. That way, you can prepare it the way you want by cutting to proper size and adding what you might want like garlic or strawberry jello.

Which do you think would be the most cost effective and convenient.

Also ask the local grocery what they do with the older chicken when it is not executable to sale.

Just my thoughts.

When I see someones State listed as United States, except beginning with small letters, I see a red flag popping up.