Frozen bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catrod, Jun 6, 2006.

1. catrod

catrod New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I was wondering if anyone has ever used frozen shad bought at local bait shops before. Is it ok to use/any advice?:roll_eyes:

2. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    After shad has been frozen it can be difficult to keep on the hook. It tends to break apart easily, but it is great bait and the cats here love it. Just check the bait every 15 mins on the hook. Take a light action rod and small hook and you will also catch natural bait fish or if your lucky an eel for bait.

Good luck!

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have caught fish on frozen bait, but it the bite does not seem as good as with fresh bait. Shad does get mushy when frozen.

One day this summer I am going to film a test between frozen and fresh bait.

4. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Rod I use only fresh bait, i have used frozen before but the bite was off every time by 95% of the time. i never use frozen baits anymore.

5. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've used frozen shad, but it don't stay on the hook very well, and if your not careful you will throw it off casting, it also doesn't catch fish near as well a fresh bait. It's a have to thing for me.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I only use Frozen Shad when I am unable to find fresh. Or, if it is a last minute thing and I am on the road then I will use frozen shad.

Always use fresh if you can, works better then anything.

Look at it like this, would you rather have something frozen and thawed or fresh.

7. catfishsteve

catfishsteve New Member

State:
    Omaha, NE
    I picked up about 30 lbs of live shad a couple weeks ago and I froze it. The old boys around here say to freeze the shad alive in a zip lock bag full of water and they will be an OK bait. Fresh is obviously better.

I've caught a few nice channels on the frozen shad in the past few weeks and I know several other guys who are using it with some success.

I agree and I do think that fresh is better and I plan on nabbing a bunch of fresh shad when I'm fishing later on this summer when the shad are bigger in the lakes.

I've also used some frozen bluegill and frozen shrimp in a pinch. Frozen shrimp is a great bait after ice out for a couple weeks.

I'm glad I have a lot of that frozen shad as I do replace it about every 10 minutes. I keep it very cold, almost frozen while I'm fishing. I take my knife and poke it good through the body to let the scent out. I like to fish it mostly under a slip bobber.

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I've found that there is a MAJOR difference between frozen shad and fresh shad. I can take fresh shad to several good fishing holes around here and have excellent luck, and they won't hardly touch frozen shad. It's just a guess, but I'd bet fresh shad outfishes frozen 5 to 1 or better around here. There's a big difference.

Jerrod