Frozen Bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by RebelMan, Nov 18, 2009.

1. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

It's getting to be that time of the year when we are day dreaming about catfishing in the spring and wishing spring was here already. I was thinking about freezing bluegills and fallfish now for the srping so I have some bait to use in early march when its almost impossible for me to catch them. Do you guys have luck with frozen baits on the water? Because if you guys have luck with your frozen baits you had in the freezer, i'm going start stocking up my freezer. :0a36:

2. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I freeze shad over the winter for backup bait. Has worked good for channels. Gills will work good frozen. If you have a way to vacuum pack, even better.

3. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    Same here...I usually freeze extra Shad and have them on hand when I know bait will be hard to get. Vacuum pack them and they'll be ready to go when you want them...the cats don't seem to mind one bit.

Tight lines.

4. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Thanks guys! I'm going to starting stocking up now. I'll be fishing for walleye till the end of december so I will have to freeze some walleyes up too!:wink:

5. Skammer

Skammer New Member

State:
    Pa.
    I have been using frozen bait for years. In the summer time chubs are hard to keep alive & so I get them a day or two before I am going to fish & freeze them. I try to keep them frozen right up to the time I put them on the hook & it seems that when they are thawing out in the water they really attract the catfish. I take a cooler with me so I can keep them in the frozen state. If you are going to keep them for any period of time I suggest the vacum bags as they don't tend to deteriate. I always catch a bunch of perch in the fall & keep them in my freezer for winter catfishing. I'll freeze the gills to in fact I will be using the perch & gill cuts this afternoon for the channels.

6. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

welp I went out today for bluegills and the bluegills are no where to be found. Looks like i'll be ice fishing for my bait for spring :smile2:

7. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I use frozen bait on a regular basis. I caught my PB blue on a frozen white perch head. I used to freeze the left over gils after trips when I knew I would not be heading out again for a few days, that way in a pinch I could throw a trip to the river together!

The way I see it, fishing with frozen bait is better than fishing with no bait at all! :wink:

8. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

This is probably the 3rd time I thought about trying this stuff.
    http://fishonbait.com/Catfish.html
    It looks good and I bet it has a strong scent. If you want more scent get the herring oil too! I'm going to have to try this stuff out as long as the shipping isnt too crazy.

9. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

10. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    stock up the freezer, sometimes frozen will work better. just separate them out into amounts that you can see yourself using on a trip, and vacuum seal them if you have one. if not just use freezer bags..

11. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    I got my freezer stocked right now plan on stocking it even more for when i get the winter fish fever. You can catch channels all year you just dont catch as many.

12. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

oh and dont forget about them trout! pa fish commission just stocked some nice bait all over pa!

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I would only use frozen bait if it was the last resort.

Nuthin better and more effective than live or fresh baits.:cool2:

Unless you vaccuum pack them, they will just get mushy

14. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Again, Tan speaks the truth! IFF you can get live bait, or fresh dead ones, that is the way to go. I use frozen stuff only when I HAVE too

15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I,ve used it in a pinch occasionally too,I don,t have much faith in it.The PFBC will be stocking plenty of bait come spring!:wink:

16. JoeDaCatKing

JoeDaCatKing New Member

State:
    PA
    Ive never had a problem with frozen bait until I tried to refreeze it. Keep it cold on ice so its still cold when you chuck it out there. Fresh is the way to go though.

17. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,
    Hey guys, do you cut the bait up before you freeze it or after thawing? Frankly I can see advantages and disadvantages both ways. Just wondering what the general conscious is on this. Thanks all. :wink:

Ray

18. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    When I use frozen bait, I freeze it whole and then cut it up when its taken out of the zip-loc. Usually it never fully thaws, so when I cut it it's usually still frozen!

19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    ray,

You wanna keep the juices and blood intact. If using frozen bait, keep the fish whole and cut when needed. Pre-cutting and freezing is illogical.:cool2: