FROZEN BAIT TO FRESH BAIT

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by catoon, Mar 6, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i always use frozen bait shad and skipjack.i here the great catmen only use fresh bait.what are your oppinions

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well i use fresh if i can but i always got some froze so i use both fresh and froze

3. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I like fresh vs frozen, but I do use both. In my opinion, fresh stays on the hook better. Frozen seems to be a little too mushy for me. But I think the main thing is to use what you are comfortable using and what produces results. I may try one way that I swear is the worst and for someone else it might be the best.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    both will work but i like the freash if i can get it but i use frozen all the time with no problems.

5. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    LOL , that's what I hear too. IMO I cant deny that fresh bait would be better than frozen bait, its more natural, etc. On the other hand I've had fresh bluebacks out and they wouldn't touch it, they wanted frozen gills instead. Now would I have caught more fish with fresh Gills ? I really cant say.

I try for fresh but I have no problem , at all, using frozen bait. I've caught way to many fish with it and sitting at home because I didn't have fresh bait would be insane to me ; )

If that cat is hungry.....he is gonna eat it.

-Jim-

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    I guess I can say that I am a true believer in FRESH , I consider it part of the trip and if I cant get fresh bait I will just keep trying until the day is over... Much more success if you can get fresh bait. Cant speak for skipjack though because I have never tried them.

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I like freshbait but when it comes to skipjack I can't tell much difference between fresh and frozen

8. Hatchrooster

Hatchrooster New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I preffer to use fresh.I've always have had better luck with it once and a while I'll use frozen.

9. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Would rather have fresh Skipjack. But Frozen works great if its not been in the freezer for months. Last trip out could not buy a bite on old frozen skipjack. Seen a half of a skipjack floating down the river. Dipped it up. And had one fish in the boat within 10 minutes (Still fishing the same spot with 3 other rods out with frozen skipjack) And one more take down.
    Also on frozen I keep it in the cooler cut it up still frozen and stick it on the hook. Works great that way for me.
    Pete

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I prefer freash bait, but only because it is as close to natural as possible. The texture seems to be a little better, but the truth is that a catfish never see's a skipjack or shad filleted or cut into chunks, so I guess it does not really matter. Furthermore, if they are actively feeding and hungry they don't care if it has been frozen or not!

This year so far I have used frozen bait on several trips and have had great catches. As a matter of fact my PB for 2009 came on frozen bait.

11. Kansas Tree Rat

Kansas Tree Rat New Member

State:
    Waverly, Kansas
    Fresh is great if you can get it. Of course you can spend more time chasing bait than fishing sometimes. I have drove 50 miles and spent 4 hours to get bait only to fish 5 miles from home for a couple of hours.

12. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I prefer fresh, but fish with what I have. That means that most of the year is frozen!

13. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Catching bait is the first thing I do. Whatever I get in the cast net or on the sabiki, I use for bait. If I can't find bait, then I don't fish, but I will usually catch something. In my opinion a fresh skipjack is hard to beat.

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    ill use frozen bait for channels, but only fresh for flats.

15. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    I've done well with frozen, but like the others, I like fresh. This time of year is always tough to get fresh without looking a long time and wasting fishing time.

16. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I prefer fresh, but use both. I will try to catch fresh shad every trip, but if I don't I always have some frozen ones for backup. When I started keeping my gills alive instead of putting them on ice, my catches seem to have gone up. I can only keep shad alive for a day or so, so I use them fresh for that day and freeze the rest. These are the ones I use for backup.

17. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    The only way I'll use frozen bait is as a last resort. They may eat frozen, but fresh is always better.