Frozen Bait Question/Idea

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by laidbck111, Oct 26, 2006.

1. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have read a couple of threads about freezing bait and the effects of freezing it. I was curious to know if anyone had ever tried cutting and putting a hook in the cut bait before they had froze it? It seems to me that the frozen bait would not fling off the hook when casting and would defrost shortly after being in the water. I would like to hear your thoughts on this. I have done it with chicken liver and it worked out pretty good for me.

2. MR SANDMAN 800

MR SANDMAN 800 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've tried frozen bait before and it's tough to get the hook through frozen bait, especially cut gills. Having a hook in the bait before freezing sounds like something to try...u think freezing the hook in the bait affects the hook itself at all? I just put my ziplock bag of frozen bait in the water for a little bit and it thaws out, then I'm ready to fish. Good luck, let us know the results if you try it.

3. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I don't think it would do anything to the hook. The only thing is that I used a snap swivel with the liver so I would not have to keep tying on new bait chunks.

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I freeze livers and shrimp on the hooks. It works pretty well for me. Just open the container and hook the hook to my line. No fuss no muss. ( I keep my shrimp in with my livers)
    Bill

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    sounds like a good idea but wouldnt you lose alot of blood that way? when thawing froze bait i thaw mine out on ice

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Would u change hooked after every new piece of bait? I like to keep fresh bait on and it seems like I would constantly be tieing new hooks on. It could work though. I just deal with the cold and throw my net. It makes me feel good to catch shad in the winter because i can actually keep them alive in a bucket. :big_smile:

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

As the bait defrost in the water your slick/blood will start also. Well that is how liver does anyway.

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

If you were opposed to a snap swivel yes. Are you can use a barrel swivel and a cat's claw knot then it would just be changing the snelled hooks out as needed.

9. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    Did You Use The Snap Swivel? Or Is This Just An Idea? It Sounds Like A Good Idea And Probably Worth A Try.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

With liver I just used the snap swivel. But I was thinking about the bigger fish, blues and flatheads, and the power they have and thought about it for awhile and came up with the untested idea of the barrel swivel and the cat's paw knot. I have used this surf and wreck fishing and it is a strong knot. My thought was to rig your line as normal to the barrel swivel and then attach your snelled hook to the swivel using a cat's paw knot. Then it's just unwinding the knot to change baits and replcing it with the next piece.

11. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    This method works great for any soft bait. I started doing it many years ago using soft baits like meat flavored jello for carp fishing.
    Also, there is another benefit when using this method with liver.
    I read an article once by a food chemist/fisherman who stated that liver is a much better bait after it has been frozen than it is fresh. Apparently some kind of enzyme/amino acid/chemical in it that catfish find attractive is released or made more potent by the freezing process...W

12. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    sounds like an idea now - i would use a snap swivel for changing hooks

13. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thats a good idea.will have to give it a try.thx for the info.

14. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    excellent idea, why didn't i think of that. well, i guess thats obvious. but i usually use 20-30 lb leaders with snap swivels on them, so changin hooks is easy, just need to have a supply of hooks froze into the bait. thanks for the info

15. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    OK Benji--I'll bite, what's a "cat's Paw" knot. Sounds like I need to learn another knot. That'll make 4 (counting my shoestrings.

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i'll bite next. what's a catspaw knot? got a picture? i know less than four knots myself.
    gary

17. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Got me in knots also.I'll take the bait this a new one on me also.

18. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    here is an idea lay it out before hand to thaw out lol.Seriously what i do say with bluegill heads after they thaw and i go to use them is i stuff there mouth with a blood bait or dough bait or something like that to give them a better smell since frozen isnt quait as good as fresh.and it draws the fish to the bait faster.

19. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, i am going to marry this thought, which i have used before(thanks, Benji) with this one from the BOC library:
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38805

i will put bait on hooks in ice trays and make "bait cubes"...i think it should work.

Northstar used a blender to liquefy his chum, but i use a meat grinder mounted on my cleaning table. either should be adequate.

20. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    here is the cats paw knot:big_smile:

never mind..the link didn't come thru...just do a yahoo or google search for cats paw knot