Frozen Asian carp

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dcastle, Aug 11, 2008.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm thinking about getting some asian carp for bait but won't need them for a few weeks. I'm going to filet and freeze them and wondered how well they keep. Does anyone know if they're good bait once thawed out or are they to mushy?
    Thanks.

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    In my experience, it's a good bait fresh or even after a few days of refrigeration, but it's pretty mushy and basically worthless after freezing.

3. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    Usually turns to mush, don't waste your time. You shouldn't have any problem catching what you need within 5 minutes of launching a boat on the river.

4. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks. I was going to use them on a river that doesn't have any as far as I know. That's why I was wondering how they would do after being frozen if I caught some on the Missouri. Since they're so easy to catch, I kind of figured they would be worthless bait when they thawed out. LOL

5. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    i had some in the freezer for over a week vacume sealed and when thawed they were fine,i even refoze them and used them a second time no problems

6. flatheadshome

flatheadshome New Member

State:
    missouri
    Well ive frozen them for over a year and still caught fish on them but not nearly as strong a bite as fresh,or cut shad,or fresh creek chubs(the other white meat) But if you really want to have some fun i would imagine that a case full a 12 gauge shells and a sawed off 870 would be an excellent way to harvest those stinken bastards:smile2: I wouldnt ever do that but no.6 duck and pheasant loads seems to work magnificently:eek:oooh:

7. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    yes i agree the fresh is better and the bites are stronger on the fresh versus frozen.what i've found is when you freeze them the blood kinda seperates.but i havn't ever had it go mushy unless you don't vacume seal it.

8. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Dale, I've taken Saran wrap and wraped the whole fish,and frozen need to be as fresh as possible( red gills). Then scaled and cut into strips, worked good,
    As far as staying on hook, Truman Blues don't seem to care for them, kind of like Skip Jacks, Guess their spoiled on
    fresh shad.
    Jim

9. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Hey Shannon, I've suggested that very thing to the Missouri ,Illinois and ks conservation departments. There are outfitters in Illinois that guide aerial bowfishing trips but it's mighty hard to hit a carp in the air. On the other hand I can break ritz crackers on a regular basis with my Benelli. If I can hit 48 out of 50 clay pigeons I guarantee I can knock the crap out of a flying carp at 15 feet.Who cares if they swim off and die of lead poisoning.Let us shoot flying carp with our shotguns.They all said no way.

10. treloarjeff

treloarjeff New Member

State:
    missouri
    what i do is freeze them whole, in big trash bags. Then take them out a short time before needed and cut them up with a sawzall. In my experience they are easier to cut up with the sawzall frozen than with any other knife and i have never had any problem with them being mushy.