Frosty's Hook Set System

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Tony Letson(Frosty Whiskers) on March 26, 2003

HOW TO MAKE THE NEW IMPROVED FROSTY

Just a little history for you. The original frosty was a recipe. A down right nasty recipe to boot.

The new and improved Frosty is a lazy man’s hook set system. I realized the need for it while fishing. I’m also the author of “Keeping it Together” which is designed to keep all the rods in a central location while fishing.

But I have to tell you. This system is hard on the more rigid rods. I use it on medium action to lighter action rods, which of course means that its used for the smaller fish.

The materials that I used to create the 1st one, and every one since, are readily available to 80% of all catfishermen.

Tools required
    * Needlenose pliers
    * Tin snips or cutting pliers

Materials List
    * 1x2 inch piece of aluminum
    * Beer or soda can tab
    * 12 inches of large diameter monofilament line
    * 2 1/2 to 3 feet of large diameter monofilament line
    * 1/8 to 1/4 oz weight, a worm weight will work nicely
    * any small stick that is roughly 1 inch in length
    * Flourecent object
    For the purpose of demonstration I am using an improved design that I frequently use for catching bait fish.

The whole idea is to set the rod so that when the fish hits it, you get automatic hook set.regardless of the style of hook you use. This device has worked for me with catfish and panfish. It just requires the tug of the fish and the hook is sent home for the hook set.

I’m going to hopefully use the photos I have to explain the majority of the operation. With a scant amount of input from myself.

This is the actual "Frosty"
    [​IMG]
    Tie one end of the line to the end of the stick. With the excess line, thread the weight then secure it to the stick by feeding the line up through the knot. Tie the other end into a standard cinch loop. On the end that has the stick, create a simple loop by tying a simple knot roughly 3 inches below the stick. At the knot that you've tied, secure the flourecent object. At this point you have the operating portion of the system complete.

To fashion the clip and eye, you will need something thats very difficult to find: an aluminum can. Cut a section of metal that is roughly 2x1, using a hole punch or ice pick or nail, punch 2 holes approximately 1/2 inch apart on the 2 inch side of this metal. Using a pair of needlenose pliers, smooth these holes created. Using the same large diameter mono line, thread through the holes created, then thread through a simple can tab from a soda or beer can. tie these securely in place so that the tab has minimal movement but the main hole of it is free of objects. Using the pliers you have, bend the other end of the long side of the 2x1 metal to create a J, this will be used to clip to the rod at the last 1/4th toward the tip.

Cast your bait as normal. attach the rod clip to the rod as indicated above. Using the cinch loop end of the rig, attach to either th rod holder or to the back end of the rod handle. Using the static loop, you've created by the stick, thread through the hole of the can tab. Holding all in place, insert the stick just enough to hold the loop in place. At this point, the rod is set for strike reaction. All thats left is the waiting.

This is a distant diagram of its setup
    [​IMG]

A little closer view
    [​IMG]

and the following is the close up view of the setup
    [​IMG]