Fronts on Santee

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by BrianD, Sep 18, 2008.

1. BrianD

BrianD New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'd like to hear a couple of you experts weigh in your opinion on the effects of fronts moving in and out or on and off of Marion and Moultrie. I've been told (and do believe I guess) that those lakes are so big together that they brew their own storms. My question is do you guys think that the fronts that move on and off those lakes, sometimes 2 or 3 times a day effect the bite in the same way a front may effect a smaller lake where a front may not move in as often..........hope i got across what i was trying to say here........i know what i want to ask, it's just hard to put it in words.........i understand the basics of pressure but because it seems to change so much on marion (or moultrie) does it have the same effect.

2. catch & release

catch & release New Member

State:
    SC
    I think regardless of the size of a lake, the barometric pressure and its fluctuations have more to do with how fish bite than anything. If I think a storm is bringing lightning with it I don't wait around to see how the fish bite, but for the most part at Santee, the fish do really well just before a front, and often slow down right after it for a while. I've caught 3 fish over 40 pounds this summer and I got wet before I got back to the house 2 out of those 3 :wink:

3. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    There is a definite correlation between changes in pressure and the fish bite. The big fronts that come through the area not only affect fish but all wildlife. Santee Cooper lakes are large and true they have stewed up their own storms. The changes in pressure cause the fish to become uncomfortable and they start to move around to seek a depth with a comfortable pressure level, kinda like when you fish at different depths until you find fish.

I have seen small clouds come on the lake and form rather impressive thunder heads due to updrafts off the lake. These small fronts do affect fish but only on a small scale and an even smaller erea. If you are SURE there is no lightning fishing just ahead of these thunder heads can be productive. I have caught some real trophy fish in or around such storms.

Word of CAUTION: LIGHTNING IS NOTHING TO PLAY WITH, IT WILL KILL YOU and then you will catch no fish!

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I agree, for the most part, with what Ed and Jon wrote. The catfish seem to bite really good at times just ahead of a front, and for me they usually also slow down for a couple of days. A lower barometer is better than higher most of the time, although I don't think the barometric pressure affects the deep water fish quite as much as those in shallower water.
    I have a good friend who has more guts and knowledge, and a bigger boat than I do, and he has caught some really nice fish in some of the worst weather a man would want to fish in.
    Main thing is to fish every chance you get regardless of the weather, 'cause I've never caught many sitting in front of the television. :smile2:

5. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As long as there is no chance of death or getting hurt FISH FISH FISH FISH!:wink: The bite all the time you just have to find the biting fish.:big_smile: