Front Deck Ideas

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by turtle1173, Nov 5, 2005.

1. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Hi all,

As you know from my previous post, I'm redoing my 16' Starcraft Deep V. I am looking for ideas on what to do in the front of my boat.

Originally, this is an open bow boat. It was designed where you walk through the two consoles and there was seating on the right and on the left. When I started catfishing, I used what used to be the right and left seat & made a platform out of it. So instead of walking through the consoles, you would just step up.

While redoing the boat, I have removed the passenger side console. I also took all the old metal out of the front that used to be the frame for the seating.

So my question is, after I get the floor put in, I would like to put some kind of deck in the front. Preferrably utilizing the space underneath for storage. Does anyone have any experience in this area and/or point me to some links that would give me some good ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks again for your help.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    When you took out the passenger side console, you took out the stability of the port side hull. It was tied to the deck by that console.

I did much the same, when I took out a front bench seat in a jon-boat. To put back the stability and keep the hull from flexing, I used two eye bolts just under the deck I installed, one on each side, and tied the hull together with plastic coated cable with a small turnbuckle just under and inside the deck, so it was hidden.

3. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Bob Paul, I see what you are saying about the stability aspect. I'm not sure if I understand correcting the situation though. You stretched a cable from one side of the boat to the other under the deck? Is that the general idea? Then you tightened the cable down?

If that's correct, then I'll have to do some thinking about this. I'm not sure how I could rig something like that and it be under the floor. Perhaps I could rig something from under the front deck that I'm trying to figure out how to build :D That would be just in front of the console.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Good idea, rig it under the deck. I think I saw that in print somewhere :p

Your understanding it correctly. The deck in front of the console would be perfect.

Drill and attach an eye bolt to each side that will be hidden by and just under that deck.

5. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Duh, yeah that was mentioned somewhere wasn't it, LOL :rolleyes:

Alright, any ideas on "how" to build the deck? I've got a deep V hull that will soon have a floor. How do I go about building a platform without drilling a bunch of holes in the boat? Or can I?

6. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Hi, I am new to this forum. Not real good at catching catfish either. I am working on my 16' flatbottom. I bought a book off the net at my jon boat.com. It has some helpful info.

Good luck,
    Jiom