From The Past

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Jan 26, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    The cold winter days we are going through gives time for doing other things than fishing. One thing, being an "Old Fart", I do is reminisce of days gone by.

In another time, in almost another life, I wrote and had published outdoor articles. At the time, during the 1970s I was a State of Ohio Game Protector and wasn't supposed to be writing anything that was first approved by the Division. Soooooo .... I wrote under the pen name of D. Bradley. My writing covered all aspects of the outdoors, including hunting, fishing, trapping, the environment and most things pertaining to most of these sports.

As the years have gone by many of these articles have been lost, damaged or destroyed, such as in hurricane Francis in 2004. Several of my family members have encouraged me to put on-line and a CD what there is remaining for posterity. So ... I have begun to do so. There are only a couple of articles on-line at this time, but am hoping I can add at least one more each day, until I can get the remaining of them posted. I understand that these publication are no longer in business ... so am hoping there is no copywright infringement.

One of our Brothers on BOC has encouraged me to post this on here so that others might be able to enjoy some of them. The first article on the page is the last article I had published before moving to Florida.

Remember while reading most of these articles that I was a Game Protector, especially reading the last sentence in many of the articles.

And .... Please remember these were written in the 1970s and some game and fish laws were different. Hope you enjoy them.

http://www.gbso.net/actor/stories.htm

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    no need to hide me, I will stand here to say it was me. I enjoy your posts and articles that give some of us younger people a better understanding of the roots of where we are today in the outdoors! I encourage you to post more of your articles as you restore them, so all of us young and old er lol.. can enjoy them. thanks for sharing garry! rollo

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those are great articles..I see one was from the old Ohio Fisherman magazine...I have every ohio fisherman ever printed, I really enjoyed them.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Youve got some great posts Garry keep them up

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great work Gary, I hope when you get to know us better you will share the good stuff! I know you are holding back. Tell ya what, I'll tell you all my secrets if you tell us yours. Sounds like a good deal to me! lol:wink:

6. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thank you to everyone and glad you can enjoy some of the stuff I have written ... if you want you can Bookmark the page as I will be adding more as the days go by.

JACK ....... I will reveal my secrets if they work here in Ohio ... I need to test them out when I can get my boat in the water .... My best advise right now is to Vote for whoever will seal our southern border!!!

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i wouldn't reveal anything to jack lol... danville isn't that far from you garry... he will feel obligated to take your trash out, make coffeye etc. he will be like the stray dog, you feed once and won't leave the door step!! :smile2: rollo

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    bringing this back up to the top for those that haven't seen this, very nice article ohio brothers..rollo

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Good stuff Garry, this is the kind of stuff we need on here. Thanks

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thank you S_Man .... I am glad you enjoy them ... Posted a couple more today and will posting more throughout the next few weeks .... SOme of the articles are pretty ragged and takes time to clean them up and make them almost readable.

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Take your time Garry, we ain't going anywhere. Get them to your liking. I am sure they will be going into the Library.

12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    For those of you that may be interested I now have 20 articles on the web sight ... they cover hunting, trapping, fishing and the environment ... If you have a dial-up connection it will be slow loading because of volume. As soon as I get them all done I will paginate them so it will load faster .... Enjoy!

http://www.gbso.net/actor/stories.htm

Garry-

13. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Great post garry thanks for passing on the knowledge.