From the Father of an American soldier...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by GoFish_Tony, Mar 8, 2008.

1. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    (Mods, you can delete this, or move it if need be.) FYI, If it gets moved to HI I won't follow it there.

Others here have been able to make their political comments, and take personal cheep shots at the President (and then cover it by saying they support and pray for our troops... HA!) I figure I've held back long enough, and also would like to get some things off my chest.

I will start by apologizing. I am sorry that I am too opinionated and thin-skinned to accept other peoples views that differ so greatly from mine. I know that by me being this way I limit myself from getting to know people better. I truly love you all here at the BOC, but sadly for some, we will never become friends.

How many of us "older crowd" can remember sitting in Grade School and having to write a paper about who our Hero's were? How many of us chose a policeman, a firemen, a soldier, or *gasp*, the President of the United States, as being the greatest and most important jobs in the world? (What the heck do our schools and media teach kids today? Be like Mike? Be like Brittney? be like Oprah?)

My son chose to be an American soldier. He didn't make this choice lightly, and we sure didn't influence him, nor discourage him. He freely chose this career for reasons that are personal to him and right for us all. I am truly proud of my son for choosing the path he did. He, and all those that are serving, have served, or will serve, are all truly my hero's.

Some, really don't understand the job of our military. Personally, I find it so very disturbing that occasionally I run into people that don't understand, support, or respect the jobs our fighting soldiers do, AND the people they serve. Just to make things clear, MY son doesn't work for the media, the anti-war protesters, or even the American people. MY son takes his orders from his commanders, including and especially, his Commander in Chief.

I understand, in this country it is a protected "right" to be able to bad mouth our leaders (a Right given to you by our Founding Fathers.) Heck, we can weave flowers in our hair and join anti-war rallies, and even burn a flag if we wish... but, is any of that beneficial? And what does that say to our soldiers who lay it all on the line, to trash talk their boss? Dose it strengthen our Rights, our Freedoms, our Constitution to mis-use it? (Personally I don't believe so.) Dose it make Freedom of Speech worth more when it is used to tear down those in command?

It's important for each and every one of us to remember, our fighting sons and daughters freely took an Oath to defend this Country. Our soldiers are brave fighting soldiers with a STRONG WILL and APPRECIATION for what makes America so great. Who knows better what Freedom and Liberty are worth, then someone that is willing to sacrifice everything to defend it!? What message dose anti-Bush, anti-war propaganda send to our brave sons and daughters? That they made mistakes? Bad choices? That it's OK for them to question who and where their orders come from?

It's important that NO American ever cause other brave men and women, from second guessing their Call to Duty. Believe me, those that serve our Armed Forces, are defending you and me each and everyday. Don't believe me? ASK THEM! Ask them what it's like to live in a foreign country, ask them if they think the USA is worth fighting for! Ask them how it feels to come "home". (More soldiers might open up and talk about their jobs and service to our country, if not for fear of being misunderstood and degraded!!)

The United States of America has always been the Greatest country in the world... period... end of sentence. We have good generous hearts and a desire to see Liberty and Justice prevail in our land and in our world. Oh, and there is also that other thing... if our land, our people, or our interests are threatened or attacked, we will relentlessly hunt you down and kick your a$$. The President and Commander in Chief of THIS country must NEVER live by any other rule. I pray that the next President will also have the courage, tenacity and the moral integrity to serve this Highest Command.

Respectfully,
    Tony (Proud father of a real American Hero.)

_

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Tony, I can see you are indeed a proud father and rightfully so. My son is waiting to get in boot camp now. Like yourself i didn't try to sway his decision one way or the other. I'm proud of him and every other person who defends this great country.

3. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Tony ill hold nothing against you for saying whats on your mind,more power to ya.that comes from a veteran here...

4. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Thank you for this post brother! I can only imagine what it is like to be a parent, brother or sister to a service member. My mom stresses out pretty badly when ever I deploy even after so many years and so many deployments as I have been on. Same goes for my wife and kids. Stay strong and keep praying. Tell your son thanks for me please.

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Too many people think Freedom is Free. I'd sign up again, if they would have me. Later Andy

6. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Well Tony, I am a vetern and as stated before both my sons are serving in Iraq. One made it home this afternoon for 18 days with his loving family. To say that anybody is less than an American for not agreeing with this president or any one else in the world is ludicuous. I do not have to agree with everything that happens in this country to be an American. If this country were attacked I would fight to the last drop of my blood to help protect it but I will not blindly except anything I do not agree with.

7. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    Glad to see that your son made it home for some leave Bob! Tell him to enjoy his stay!

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I see you got out on the Rock with Catmatt this winter. Congrats on that.
    I am one of those of whom you speak so dispargingly. We have been through this many times before and I have seen you say the same bad things about our previous President. This country was founded on Civil disobedience. The British were not very happy about the Boston Tea Party I'd guess. It is my opinion that a true patriot keeps an eye on, and defends his country from tyranny whether from within or from without. I am proud of every single man and woman who chooses to join the military and thank them deeply for their service to their country. That said, I find what George W Bush, Dick Cheney and crew have done to this country abhorrent. That is all I can say in an open forum, and with that I hope you still wouldn't mind wetting a line with me.

Your Friend,

Shawn

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Let's hope choosing freely remains the standard.
    :big_smile:
    God Bless.

10. Flatheadhunter33

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    After all, as ironic as it is...its one of the very things we fight for:wink:.

11. catgetter1

catgetter1 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    As another proud Vet, I can say that I'm grateful as well as proud of your son's sevice....One cannot say thank you enough......Keep your chin up Tony and remain proud..............

12. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    As a proud vet myself I am proud of every man or woman how picks up the banner of freedom. For those that do not pick up the banner, We will do it for you.

13. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I normally stay out of political threads . I feel i must reply to this one.
    I live just out side Fort Riley Kansas. I meet a lot of our service men and women. I must say they are some of the best people anyone would want as family. I do not have sons or daughters in the service , but I clam all OUR service people as mine , they are what stands between us and the ones that want to take our freedom. Our leaders have kept the USA safe from another 9.11, so they must be doing something right.

14. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    Tony after reading your post I can only say I hope one day to shake your hand and your sons hand then I can look you both in the eye and say thank you

15. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Congratulations, ya say ya didn't influence your sons decisions, but you musta done something right. A man gota do what a man gotta do. They volunteered knowing what they faced. Tell your sons Thank You from me. Its amazing that young people volunteer to do what must be done, and yet give up rights of the constitution to ensure that we all still have it. It takes a special kind of person.

16. baldy804

baldy804 New Member

State:
    wyoming
    thank god for land of the free home of the brave specail thanks to all the proud men and women defending this great nation from domestic and foreign enemys and our prayers are with u all

17. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for a great post. I know everyone has a right to their opinion, that's what we fight for. I am a pretty low key person , who's not very opinionated but i have to chime in on this one. I spent over 2 decades in the military, traveling all over this world and American serviceman do not debate politics everyday...they carry out the orders of their superiors without question, cause that's what they signed up to do. If some folks want to hate soldiers and criticize them that's ok, we can take it, they don't have the spine to stand up for country but that's ok. we'll pick up their slack... they can smoke their dope and watch their Rosie reruns all day in the safety of the U.S. We got your back.....

18. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Thanks for the great post Tony! I am with you 100%.

I am a Navy Veteran and I want to tell you how I felt about it.

When I was on that ship sailing through the Persian Gulf and other far away places I felt damned proud of the job I was doing! I knew a lot of people back home never gave us in the military much thought but those of us that were serving understood that their world could be a lot different if it weren't for the folks at the front lines standing up for their freedoms. I'll tell you also that when I stood on the bow of that ship and watched Old Glory flapping in the wind I swelled up with pride for our country. We felt our job was important and we did it by the book and we did it well, and we did it with pride.

I will support our Commander in Chief whether he be Republican or Democrat when it comes to the safety of our Great Nation!

Those that want to bad mouth our Country are damn welcome to leave it and go to France or Canada or wherever else they feel they have a safe refuge.

I know what our servicemen (and women) stand for and I know how dearly they believe in the job they are doing to protect us.

Me........ I'll defend her to the end, and I salute our service men and women who are still fighting the good fight today!

19. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I agree with darryl here, i'll defend this country till the bitter end regardless of the political party at the time. Also those that don't love it should get out.

20. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks
    Its pretty clear too me, freedom has a true taste that many enjoy. But only few seem willing to go the extra mile to ensure that It stays with us. Yes the liberty tree is in good hands. Damn right it is.