From Spinning rod to Fly rod?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing' started by Whiskers4U, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    I was wondering if it is possible to convert a spinning rod into a Fly rod? I have this older 7 1/2 ft spinning rod that I was thinking about doing this to. I would put on a different reel seat to accomidate a fly reel. The guides are big enough for the fly line. I just don't know what weight fly line would work best for it. Is their a weight that I should use as a starting point and work from there? The rod is medium action with plenty of flex.

2. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Well, theroetically...yes you could physically make the rod but getting it to work is another story. The circular guides on a spin rod won't help much (too heavy) The whoe rod probably wont balance worth a crap unless you maybe went with an 8-9 weighted forward rocket taper (just to get some distance) beacause the spinning type rods are too short and "dumpy" to get a nice cast going. Not to mention that 7'6" is waaay to short to be throwin the weight of the flyline around that must be higher to re-compensate for the initial weight of the spinning rod. I havn't even brought up that the "pline" or "spine" of the rod may or may-not help or hinder and the amount of cork that you'll ultimatly be removing (unless you enjoy a "fighting type butt" but really only need those for Salmonoid type species which are girthy but long also) so what you end up with is a short tapered heavy weight stream style rod that will probably cost you more to properly do than to just spend 50-? on an actual flyrod.

.....Not to shoot holes in your thory or anything, but it would sure be fun to just make it and see what happens? Right?.. Heck' might even work good for all I actually know. All that stuff up there is just what I have learned from books and basic rod dynamics/componentry or basic Nomenclature of the "esoterica" so basically ... man.... I have no idea.

:lol: :tounge_out: :wink:

3. Whiskers4U

Whiskers4U New Member

State:
    PA
    Thanks Jay for your response. It sounds like a lot of work doesn't it... Oh well I may just give it a shot and who knows...just maybe it will work...wishfull thinking on my part.
    Thanks again Jay for the insight. I appreciate it.

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    It's been done.

Several manufacturers have tried combo travel rods with reversable handles that they claim to be fly/spin rods.

In practice, they don't do either one very well.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Hey I was just thinking.. Maybe cut the cork back almost to the reel seat and just and cap off somhow. use a 4-6 "weighted forward" line & with the proper backing and you oughtta be good. Just make sure that the line can pass through the guides smoothly especially at the 'tip-top' guide on the end.
    it'd Be nice to see a pic of it. that would help out too. There are rodbuilders on here like Gator. I bet he could probably hatch a good plan.