From Saginaw to Santee- Walleyes and Cats!

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by stumpjumper, Jun 28, 2009.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Well, I have not been online for a couple weeks, but that's because I've been visiting family and fishing. I figure that I am long overdue for a trip report!

Tricia and I had our first experience out on Saginaw Bay Michigan fishing for walleyes. I was concerned that the weather might not cooperate because the bay is huge and can be extremely dangerous. We slow trolled nightcrawler harnesses using four planer boards and two bottom bouncers.

Saginaw_2.jpg

The fishing was a bit slow but after some work we still ended up with our limit of walleyes, yum! Walleyes are one of my favorite fish to eat. Fish on:

Saginaw_fish_on.jpg

Overall it was a great experience, but I was ready for some catfish! After a bit of rest from traveling I was ready to hit the road and since Tricia and I had not been to Santee Cooper in a couple years we decided to hitch up and make the drive.

We decidied to explore some new campgrounds that we still close to my Santee hotspots and since the South Carolina Gathering in September will be at Rocks Pond, we figured why not check it out. We were very happy with the campground and plan to return later in July. After setting up camp we were off to catch bait for the first of three all nighters. It didn't take long to mark some big schools of white perch on the sonar, jackpot! We caught about 70 perch each afternoon.

Catching bait.jpg

(continued in next post)

2. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    The wind is always a serious safety issue at Santee. A couple nights we were unable to fish the entire night. In fact, we were chased off a few times:

Oh_crap.jpg

However, we caught the Flatheads we were after! Even though we didn't catch any monsters, we consistently caught Flatheads throughout the night!

Santee_dawn.jpg

Santee_1.jpg

(continued)

3. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Here are some more pictures:

Santee_4.jpg

Santee_2.jpg

All fish were caught in 25-35 feet of water on live white perch. Fish ranged in size from 10-25 pounds so I guess I will stop with the pictures!

Oh, let me post one last one. My wife around 4 am...

4am.jpg

:smile2::smile2:

She's a trooper though! We had some really rough water out there a couple nights.

4. ec43146

ec43146 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on your catches, too bad you didn't get into any SAginaw Bay channels. Thanks for the pics.

5. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    Man what a crazy back-2-back trip! Nice work on the fish. Reps to Tricia for handling the rough waters.

6. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Nice fish and photos Marc!

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Looks like you got your flathead fix :wink:, Congrats to you both!

8. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Man, It looks like you guys had a great trip, nice job...:wink:
    Is that your boat Tricia is sleeping on?? Looks like a fishing machine...What kind is it??
    Puddle

9. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    nice fish marc, glac you could have a good time on summer break..

10. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    Great report Marc....looks like ya'll had a ball....:wink:

11. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Congrats Marc and your wife on some fish.

12. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Great report and pics Marc & Tricia! :big_smile: You two should write a book about all your fishing adventures! :cool2: I would buy a copy! :big_smile:

13. billy29435

billy29435 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Great looking fish. I bet it was a blast