From Bass Dominator to Cat Dominator!!!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catter, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Well folks, we just started rebuilding a 88' Starcraft Bass Dominator (Blue Fin).

It's about 17ft and had a 35hp Force on it. We removed the Force and all decking/floatation/flooring. Replaced the 2x4 bunks with new 2x6 treated. Put new lights and wires on it and washed everything out. Took it today to have a 06' Merc 50 2-stroke elpto put on it and ordered a few other goodies. Had to have a new mounting plate made to mount the motor to. The original one is a bout 2" too narrow. All is better now with a beefyer transom mount.

I'll be taking pics along the way and posting here as we go. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas i'll appreciate it. Sometime next week we'll be looking at a ...

bare hull w/bracing still in it
    installed 50hp motor w/stick steering
    un-installed tach
    un-installed water pressure gauge
    " " fuel tank
    " " batteries (2)
    " " fctm
    " " onboard charger
    virtually "new"/old trailer

Catch yall later

Joe

2. captain5214

captain5214 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    you like stick steering? i had a 15 ft eldo craft fiberglass with a 75 stinger johnston.....she would turn on a dime.....kinda scary! good luck on your project.........charlie r

3. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Yea, I think sticks are cool. But best of all is the room ya get from not having a console. The boat was equiped with a console with the old motor but we decided to go with stick steering in order to free up room and place the driver in the front of the boat so we can see trees and logs better. We do 99% of our fishing on the mississippi river so logs and debri are always a danger.

Joe

4. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Pics have been add to the "member boats" area. These are after it's been stripped and the new motor added. I'll post more as we go along.

CatDominator

Joe

5. youngun

youngun New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Good work on your boat, looks really nice. I bought a boat 2 months ago and have only had it in the water once, just to be sure it ran well and all. I been worken on her non stop, and boy, boats are a lot of work! Keep up the hard labor.

6. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Thanks for the compliments and you are right, it's hard but fun too. I added a few more pics today. All the demo is done, now to check for leaks and start building.

Joe

7. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Looks like it's gonna make a good looking rig. You're doing all that work and I am just dreading putting in new carpet..LOL.. Good luck on your project boat

8. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    thanks for the wellwishes Chuck, we took a coupla days off it to relax and think a bit. There's alot more thinkin to do for sure. Way too many ideas and not enuf time/money. lol

Joe