Frogtown Lake/Mine pond

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by hglumac, Jul 2, 2007.

1. hglumac

hglumac New Member

State:
    SW PA
    Do any of you western PA guys ever fish Frogtown lake, near PennCraft PA. We do alot of bass fishing there and there is some really deep water, just wondering if anyone has pulled any cats from the deep.

I'm not sure that frogtown is the real name of the lake but it is what everyone calls it. It's back in the boondocks, but there is a bunch of panfish, bass and some guys have bagged pike as well. I think it was a flooded mine pond but there is great cover with all the standing timber and a bunch of beaver dams. You need a canoe or row boat to get the most of the shoreline, but there are a few nice shore spots.

2. H22ate

H22ate New Member

State:
    Pa
    Well as you know I fish there with you but Id just like to add its an excelent spot to fish if you like peace and quiet. Also We've never left the pond and not pulled some bass. A little geographical info. Its aprox. 40 acres and in some places it is hitting over 100' depth, Ive got 107' with my depth finder.

3. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    That sounds like one of our local strip pits. Just not quite as deep, being only 60 ft. to the bottom. Is this lake you're speaking of clear? Like a rock quarry? If so, then we're talkin' about the same general habitat. As baits, most the knowledgable fishermen use trout head and guts as bait. But there's also been some caught on goldfish. There's a dock in this pit that a lot of catter's just drop their lines on and catch some very nice fish. And there's also been catmen casting along the bank in the rain among trees, that were consistently pulling out cats, three ft. long. Never heard of people catching anything but trout in the real deep parts. But, fishing the edge of a drop off wouldn't be a bad thing to try out. Let us know how you do.

-Red

4. H22ate

H22ate New Member

State:
    Pa
    Well in over half the lake it is about 18' deep 10' from shore. There is alot of coverage (trees/logs) as well. Now when im in the middle I have seen fish at the 90' mark on the finder. Now ive had locals including my dad who grew up in the area say there are fish as long as me in there and I believe it. Being that nobody fishes it anymore nobody knows. I just go there for bass fishin mainly.... Ive only had the marbles to go out on the boat at night once there and we were gettin chased around by a damn beaver. I know there has to be some big ones in there due to the pond bein damn huge, and again nobody fishes it..... theres only a handful of people that know where the pond is. Its definately out there.

5. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    Sounds like a great place to fish, Its nice to find places that not too many people fish at