Frogs???

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catman849, Oct 5, 2006.

1. catman849

catman849 New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I was told by someone that frogs are great bait this time of year. Unfortunately he didn't tell me how to fish em or rig em. Does anyone know the best way to rig em? The only frogs I catch around here are creek bull frogs but I'd assume they'd work.

2. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    When I used to bass fish I'd use frogs at the lake. I'd run the hook under the bottom jaw and out through the mouth.
    Never caught a catfish on them but I guess if they seen it swimming you may catch one. A bass will grab it before anything else. I didn't use weights I let them swim on top of the water. Sinking them will kill them as they have to breath air..... Hope this helps.... Keep us posted...

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    i agree with shelby , every time iv ever used frogs i caught bass witch is good if thats what your after .

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Well I have never used bullfrogs, However I have used Leapord Frogs and they IMO are one of a kind some nights they will get a fish on the min it hits the bottom.

I rig them with an 8/0 king kahle and 2-3 oz weight.

I hope this don't affend anyone but I step on them to make the guts come out the just run the hook thru them set the pole down and wait for my clicker to start clicking

IMO they will catch some of the biggest channels in the lake if given the chance that is here in Kansas.

We that is just my two cents worth Hope this Helps.

5. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Ive used small frogs at the mouth where the Platte river and the Missouri come together. Although I was unable to catch anything myself, there always large swirls around those frogs while I was fishing with them as bait. Im not sure what was in the water, and I can only assume that it was catfish. A couple of times, the darn frog swam back to shore and started hopping back up the bank!
    Several fishin buddies of mine swear that using frogs at this location can produce large flatties.

6. cropdusterdave

cropdusterdave New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Frogs are the best bait to use around here IMO. I use trebels...hook them once through the mouth and another hook through the gut.

7. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Leapord frogs live work great for cats , I never had much luck with bull frogs though accept with small imature ones .

8. FROG

FROG New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    Yall need to leave the family alone lol live and let live lol

9. mashunter18

mashunter18 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Only caught bass on the smaller leapard frogs myself. I also just hook through the mouth and let them swim around. I imagine if you weighted them down would work better for cats

10. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I've Never Used Frogs As Bait But I've Heard They Are Great Catfish Bait.

11. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    i never used them, but a buddy of mine says fish em on the bottom, he fishes from the bank with the wind in his face, after a rain, swears by it