Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to let u guys know something that happened to me last year with frogs...

I went to a private lake with a friend and took my typical channel baits...sonny's, liver, cut greenies. It was in August. I fished next to this fellow and he out fished me with cut bull frogs 5 to 1. I could not believe the difference in the bite with cut bull frogs.

He said that he has had same success in the river for channels. And also he uses sand toads. So I took the remaining frogs home...they stay on the hook for multiple catches...and I also noticed alot of yard toads hopping around my house, so I grabbed 6 or 7 of them and took them to the river. I caught channels on the bull frog, but when I put the yard toads on...nothing, not a bite.

I was wondering if maybe the yard toads release a chemical when they are in danger which wards off predators. I know in Kentucky there are mud dogs that cause an immediate end to catfish bites because of the release of a nasty smelling chemical.

So, if anyone has any info on the toad issue...I'd like to hear it. I replaced all the line on my catfish poles just in case. However I have been sold on cut bull frogs :wink:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
here in kansas we use sand toads and catch alot of channels on them as a matter of fact my son used them first and caught 5channels over my 1 using liver so go figure
but they seem to pick them up and run not like other baits

·
Registered
211 Posts
here in sw ohio i use tree frogs sometimes, and they are a magical bait i say cause i can put them out and catch pretty much everything, every time ive tried to specifically try for cats using them i end up with a mixed bag of fish.

·
Registered
208 Posts
SOME TOADS DO PUT OUT A BAD SMELLING,FOUL TASTING CHEMICAL WHEN THEY FEEL THREATEND.
I agree with this because when I was a young lad, I sicked our pet dog on a toad just playing and the dog bit the toad and then the dog started slobbering and foaming out of the mouth. My dad told me that it was a body chemical the toad gave off as a defense to prediators.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.