Frogs as catfish bait - are they better dead or alive?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by built2crash, Apr 20, 2006.

1. built2crash

built2crash New Member

State:
    Vermont
    should you hook frogs thru the lips alive, or kill them and hook them someplace else??

also can you use little bullfrogs, or lepard frogs are best?

2. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I like hooking them on the lips and keeping them alive

3. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I use whatever kinda that gets on the paved roads after a summer rain. Split them in half down between the eyes to the butt. Put 1/2 on a hook the other half on another. Blues and will eaten too.

4. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I hook my lepard frogs through the lips and cut their stomach open.

5. kingcat23

kingcat23 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I use whatever kind i can catch and fish them alive and hooked through the lips

6. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i have tried bullfrogs many times and i cant remember ever getting even a bite on them.now leopard frogs on the other hand are like gold.my problem is that i only find an abundance of them once a year and the rest of the year i only find a few here and there.but i usually hook em thru the lips or behind they're tailbone but they usually end up dying within an hour of being underwater.i dont think it matters too much whether they are dead or alive ive caught fish on both.

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I hook them thur the back thigh. with a 3way rig,with a long drop to the weight and a short leader to frog j. just enough weight that frog ca surface to breathe but not run.

8. webster_catman

webster_catman New Member

State:
    webster
    ive seen walmart selling frogs in a jar sotred with some kind of liquid. do u guys think those would work any good? i know the minnows they sell like that arent worth a crap but frogs might be diffrent.

9. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Frogs have worked very well for me in the past. If they were hittin pretty hard, they could be dead, But if it was a little slower, had to be alive. I usaully hooked em through the lips, but when they hit I tend to give them a little line, let em run a bit, otherwise they rip em off.

10. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Leopard frogs work very well for us late summer into fall for channel cats. They really become the bait of choice in the fall when the frogs are making their migration back to the water for winter.

What has worked really well is grabbing them by the rear legs and smacking them on something hard to knock them out/kill them. The rear legs are then cut off and the stomach is slit open. We've found that the small channel cats and other "rough fish" like to tug at the rear legs. Cutting them off aleviates that problem. Then you just hook the frog through the head.

11. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I used a leopard frog once on a bank line. Hooked it through the lips, while it was still alive. It was the only thing that caught anything that night. Had a pretty nice 5-6 lb. Channel Cat on it, which became our dinner the next night. :)

Have really used them since then though.

SudDawg

12. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I perfer lepard frogs and alive is been the best for me.

13. HuntinFerChannels

HuntinFerChannels New Member

State:
    Illinois
    funny story the first thing i ever caught was a bullfrog