Frogs and flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by chris45601, May 26, 2007.

1. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ok Guys. Last night on the scioto i ran out of creek chubs and blue gills so i started throwing frogs. Big ol bullfrogs at that...I would cut one leg off and give em enough line to get some panic action going on. It was quit strange, I would get a real nice hit. Then they would drop it. Smart idea or should i leave the bullfrogs alone?

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I have caught a few flatties on leopard frogs but not on bull frogs.

3. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Never heard of that before. I've heard of using bullfrogs, and other frogs for monster bass tho.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    bait is bait in my book, but i would take more chubs n gills next time. when we get low on bait we start cuttingum in half then thirds. after that you call a bro and have them bring there stockpile. lol

5. g.kempf

g.kempf New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've had great luck using lepord frogs for flatheads. I've caught a couple on small bullfrogs but I have never caught one on a big bullfrog.

6. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Strange I saw this post because my bro-n-law and sister caught some nice cat's on the little leopard frogs no long ago...She caught several nice channels and bass while he caught a few nice channels and 2 flatheads....all on the frogs they caught jumping around on shore. They had ran out of worms and decided to give them a try. I have caught some nice cat's on tadpoles....the big bull frog ones on limblines.

7. 19FarmBoy78

19FarmBoy78 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Later in the summer we use a lot of grass frongs and leopard frogs for flatheads. Normaly work very well. But where I fish there are a ton of frogs.

19FarmBoy78,
    Nathan

8. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeah my bait is kinda limited to the regular goldfish, Creek chubs, Leeches and etc. I've always know to catch my flatties on live things big live things. I mean I really have no selection around this part of ohio...So i guess i would bullfrogs a try and they kind of worked but they would release

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Never tried bull frogs but have caught a lot of channels with the leopard frogs. Give them a try. A lot of them around the ponds now.

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    make sure you know your state's wildlife regs. a lot of states have possession limits on bullfrogs, and rules on what you can or can't do with them. like in tx, i catch bullfrogs on rod and reel with a plastic worm, which is considered fishing. but once i have that frog in my hand, i have to have a hunting license to posess it. same with turtles. just lookin out for ya!:big_smile:

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Personally, I'd rather eat those frog legs. Lots of other options for better baits.

12. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    LoL, Yeah i love frog legs but brother i cannot find any good bait down around her they don't even sell bluegills

13. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    May have to try frogs. Is their a certain way to hook them so they stay alive longer?

14. chris45601

chris45601 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hookem through the pelvic bone in the back and cut off one leg and they swim in circles

15. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yea i ounce caught a blue cat on a leapord frog lol

16. dylan543

dylan543 New Member

State:
    ohio
    can't wait to catch one again