Froggin

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by FlatheadDreaming, Jul 12, 2009.

1. FlatheadDreaming

FlatheadDreaming New Member

State:
    Grain Valley
    I don't know if it is just me, but it seems to be impossiable to find BIG bullfrogs anymore. Most of them I have been seeing is hard to tell if they are a bullfrog or just a green frog. I have seen a few nice ones but nothing like I used to when I was younger. Dose anybody know where all of the big ones have gone??? Because I sure love to eat some nice big froglegs, some fresh flathead, potato salad, and beans. :big_smile:

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo

the dam otters and craines pretty much wipe them out anymore in ponds and such

i think they need a season on them eatin craines spell check please on that !!!!

our farm ponds use to be good every year until about 10 years ago now very few :angry: dad was checking his cows 1 day on the 4 wheeler and seen 4 dam otters in the pond

grrrrrrrr pesky eatin machines they are

3. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Yep, my g-ma's pond used to be the same way. Pops called'em african bullfrogs. Now we see maybe one a year up there. One this years bout the size of my foot, and I got some big ole feet, now! I member the days of me and pops and grandpappy going out with pillow sacks and flashlights and fillin'em up. Now you purt much gotta hit Mad Jacks to get enough for a fry.

4. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    But ya gota work for em.

5. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    saw a few up in richmond over the weekend, heard a bunch of em in harden missouri @ buffalo bridge

6. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Can't find any around here any more.When I was a kid you could go out and catch a mess of frogs real easy.It because of some disease thing that gets carried by the cranes it mutates the frogs and kills them off is what I have been told.

7. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    I have heard the pollution and I dont know what all is killing them off. I wish they could find a way to bring them back. Nothin better then a big mess of frog legs. I would rather haver frog legs than steak.

8. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    theres a road next to howell island called "centar", or something like that. after the rain yesterday right around night fall i saw a ton of big ones hoppin accross the road.

9. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Now Brandon, you should pm me with that info on the traffic hazard so that I can remedy it properly. This could be a danger to the public and must be handled by one with experience. :wink::smile2:

10. Double L

Double L New Member

State:
    Mo
    Try asking a local golf course that has some big ponds. I took my boys to a local golf course a couple years ago and we had alot of big ones in the bag. I ended up giving them away because we didnt like them.
    Sure didnt taste like CHICKEN!:smile2:

11. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    While amphibians world wide are in decline for a variety of reasons, in MO I would say most of it is due to either habitat loss or otters. You find a pond without otters, you'll probably find a bunch of bull frogs. I have one pond just off of the Jacks Fork that had everything in it disappear from one visit to the next, and I mean everything! I was convinced that someone had fish bombed it until I found out that was when they stocked otters in the Jacks Fork. Haven't even heard a bull frog down there since. I have another pond about 3 miles from there that's too far from the river for the otters to find that still has big messes of frog legs come out of it. Since they opened a season on otters, they've been greatly thinned out on the Jacks Fork but the frogs don't seem to be coming back.

12. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    You're right...they don't taste like chicken...they are much better.

13. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    :big_smile:We just tore the frogs up on Thurs evening. I mean we really did well in the Old Monroe area. Just a couple of ponds and lakes. No population troubles whatsoever.