Frog Gigging!

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by monimoon, Jan 5, 2008.

1. monimoon

monimoon New Member

State:
    NC
    I haven't been Frog gogging since I was a kid. Back home in Fl.
    I would love to take the boyfriend gigging he's a city boy:smile2:!
    Any one know of any spots in NC????

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Were in NC, are you. From experience, the coast is loaded with bullfrogs...big ones too. You just don't have a lot of open shorelines to get a good shot on them. I see a lot of them in the spring just cruising down the road though. Lakes more toward the west should have easier terrain to explore, as the tend to have more clay and rock banks which are more open and good marshy back bays that can be accessed with a good jon boat.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Like the young lady, I haven't gigged a frog since Fl either.

I'd sure like a mess of frogs to pick through, and I am in eastern NC. I've also got two if those 4 pronged gigs we used in Fl.

I might give it a try if I were pointed in the right direction.

4. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I love them frog legs. I've gigged a few in my pond in early spring but I usually buy them when the store has them once in while.

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Monica, welcome to the BOC/SOC best catfishing site on the web. I love to frog gig but don't know anything about your area. Need to get that city feller out and get some catfish slime on him LOL.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Check your local ponds, do you know anyone that owns a farm and some land, maybe they would have some ponds. Out on our family farm we added two ponds , one being fairly large, might have to check later this year for frogs.

7. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I haven't thought about this subject in a lot of years.tkanks:big_smile:

8. monimoon

monimoon New Member

State:
    NC
    Does any one happen to know if there's any poisonuns frogs in NC?

9. chadf

chadf New Member

State:
    Bossier, La
    No their aren't any frogs large enough to gig in NC that are poisonous. I grew up in Fayetteville and we did our best frog gigging sneaking on to the golfcourses.:big_smile:

10. TCAT

TCAT New Member

State:
    mo
    seeing this post made me ponder about the good ol days of childhood.i can almost smell that stench of stagnent pond water that blue cloud of water that seemed to trail u while wadeing with a head light. i can remember many of nights my old man made me pack a gunny sac 3/4 full of frogs probally weighed as much as i did. :eek:oooh:

11. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I see in your profile the primary water fished is Fontana Lake which means you are pretty far west in the state. Your best bet would probably be to drive a couple hours east to the peidmont region of NC, particulary the Yadkin and Catawba river basins. There are several public boat access's near shallow water and backwater areas that should hold a good number of frogs. With a little research you can probably find some that is accesible from the road and shallow enough to wade if you don't have a boat.

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't gigged any for a few years, but I ate a pile of 'em last night. [YUM]:roll_eyes:

13. veryama1975

veryama1975 New Member

State:
    South West Mich
    I never used a spear. When I was a kid I used my fishing pole with a big hook on it. I would lower the hook very slowly so the frog didn't spook & then hook 'em under the "chin".