Frog Gigging

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by mperry, Jun 27, 2006.

1. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anyone doing any frog gigging yet? I have not had a chance to go but would like to get out sometime this weekend.

2. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'd like to do some gigging havent done it since i was a kid

3. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I haven't been in several years. When I seen something move on the water where I was standing I bent down to see what it was. I seen a snake swimming inches from my face. I grabbed my gig and cooler and got the he11 outta there. ain't been back.
    But I've been wanting to go again.

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Havent had a chance to go yet but now is the time.

5. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    havnt been yet this year, but last year some buddies and i slayed them from a boat on an old farm pond.

6. mike79

mike79 New Member

State:
    west virginia
    plenty of bullfrogs singing there song,at east lynn lake my favorite fish hole less than a mile away,seen some of my buddies goin out giggin the other night while we were fishin,they came back about an hour laterwith a bag full of frogs,im supposed to go this next week with them,he has a small john boat and spotlight should be fun,GOOD EATIN TOO!!!!!!!!:004:
    LATER FISHIN BUDDIES

7. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am camping at Hardy Lake this weekend. I've tried gigging it before without much luck. Can't get my boat close enough and can't fight the mud to wade it. Thinking about using my telescopic rod with a small fly to see if I can't get them. Saw some pretty big ones in there but can't get close enough to get them.

8. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    that will work mike, if you can get to them. i caught hundreds as a kid with small hook and a small piece of grampses red hankerchief. we had the same problem with the mud and shallow water. we used canepoles and a short piece of heavy line. cant remember how he cleaned them(was pretty yung) seams like he cut the head off and turned them inside out somehow. can you refresh my memory on this anyone please?

9. KWSMITH

KWSMITH New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Havent been frog gigging since I was a tadpole but I remember my Dad and Grandpa going out with a Louisville slugger and knocking them senseless.

10. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I can remember when we kids used to travel the back roads around home, shining a light in the ditches, gigging lots of frogs, then Mom or another parent would cook them up for us. Ummmm
    Probably couldn't do that these days, someone would call 911 if they saw a bunch of people out at night shining lights and carrying spears :roll_eyes:

11. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know some people keep the whole frog but I usually just keep the legs. You can use the rest of the frog as bait. We were gigging an old backwater area one night and had the frogs strung up on a stringer hanging over the side of the boat, something big came up and hit them. About scared us senseless. Not sure what it was or of we lost any frogs.

12. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    do you have a good recipes for those legs?

13. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I always cut the legs off just above the tail bone, pull their britches off (skinned them) then cut the legs apart. I put them in a flat pan or aluminum foil and covered them with salt. They did some jerking then and it pulls all the old pond water out of them. They will not jump in the skillet if you salt them like this. I put them in ice water over night and battered them up like chicken and had good ole fried frog legs, gravy and hot biscuits. Talk about good!

14. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Soak them in saltwater over night. If I'm going to keep them for a while I just freeze them in water. I just batter them up like I do fish and fry them in a pan or deep fry em. Good stuff.

15. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I havent done that in quite a while. I remember once though my brother tried it and then he freaked out after the sound that it made. It was hilarious.

16. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Anyone have any good frog gigging stories? Could use a good laugh. :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile:

17. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I didnt think this many people knew about frog gigging. I love doing it me and my friends go out all the time! I like to see the look on peoples face when you tell them what it is. It is even funnyer when you tell them you eat them.
    :hungry:

18. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I know longer gig since there is a really nice restraunt up the street that has them on the buffet along with crawdads every friday night. The place is called the hearthstone restraunt in Metamora Indiana. It is on state road 52 about 5 miles west of Brookville. Its more of a race for them as it is for the crab legs. Yah and there a hole lot easier to eat as well and less work.

19. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There is a Chinese resteraunt in Madison Indiana that has crab legs, frog legs and shrimp on Friday's and Saturdays. Not bad. Probably the best frog legs I have had around here other than the ones I have gigged myself. They are on the small side but taste pretty good. (At least I hope it's frog).
    Mike

20. AllenM

AllenM Guest

Ain't done it in years, myself, but would like to if I knew of a good place around here for it.