Frisbee fur

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by on_the_fly, Jan 29, 2007.

1. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    OK my question would be : WHY ARE MY FURS STIFF AS A BOARD
    I am new to trapping and well I have gottin 2 coons and 2 yotes this past week on snares. now I thought I had read enough about skinning to tackle these but I supose I was wrong. I have skinned, streched, and scraped the coons and now the leathers are dry and now I have 2 Little fur frisbees. So now my yotes are in the freezer untill I find out where I went wrong or the step I left out. HELP!! Thanks fellas

2. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That is what they are supposed to be like after they are dried. Once they get washed and tanned they will be soft again. I hope this helps. The coyote or any fox you get need to be turned back fur side out before final stretching. Let them dry skin side out until they are dry but not real stiff or you will have a hard time turning them. Coons stay skin side out on the stretchers. You can check out some fur pics in previous threads to see some completed.

3. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    hey man, im new to trappin to and i just bought a conibear trap and a few foot-holds. have you ever had much luck with these?

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What size are the traps? That can make a difference on what you can trap.

5. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well its all new to me too!! I started out gun hunting yotes but with little luck and a friend of mine told me I needed to trap at night for them so I went gun-ho and bought 2 doz snares and later 10 victor #2 leg holds although I have not used the legholds yet I am having good luck with the snares.
    but back to the stiff fur, I was skinning and then giving a shampoo bath to get the blood and dirt out befor I strech an dry. So I wash again or I do not need to wash before I dry the first time?
    And also I spend alot of time fleshing the pelt it mostly seems like tissue due I need to get that all off. I have found myself making a few wholes I didnt want because I'm shaving too much.

6. J.BENKE

J.BENKE New Member

State:
    murray, KENTUCKY
    my conibear trap is the biggest one that i could find, its big enough for bobcats and beavers.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i would wash them then wring out as much water as possible then dry on streachers ,you dont need to do anything else

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    what size is it? a #220 would be the minimum I would use on coon