Frigidaire Washer Problem~Possible Bad Motor???

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by catfishjohn, Dec 18, 2007.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I have a Frigidaire Horizon 2000 washer that was made 9-91.
    Its been a dandy till earlier today. It filled up just fine and then started to agitate but stopped and made a deep humming sound from the back rear low back. I messed with it a few times and got it to start to agitate a cpl times by hand and ran(5mins) till cycle quit. I then tried it to start it again but it wouldn't. It still makes that noise sometimes when you pull the knob. It will fill up but will not go into rinse/drain cycle. It does nothing now at all but will fill. I have a feeling the motor is shot. Used are way too much and haven't found a used one. Also,hard to find. All this coming down today with everything else...AAARRRGGGHHH!!! LOL! Thanks in Advance!!!:wink:
    Sorry for the rambling...
    The Model # is: WISDL-L-O

Some may remember the matching dryer problems I posted about here...Oh well,they are almost 18 years old...

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Probally the motor. I had one go out not long ago and it basicly doing the same thing. It wasnt strong enough to pull a load.
    A brand new motor will run from 60-80 dollars online.
    There are some appliance parts houses online where you just type in your model and serial number and it'll pull up everything for you.

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
  4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks guys for the help! Its greatly appreciated.:big_smile:
    No way can I get $150 to put in it. Gonna try to find one used or refurbished cheap. Gotta get by cheap as I can. Gonna be a pain to do it myself,never worked on a washer. Had a crash course on the matching dryer and it works great. Also its almost 18 years old. Hate to put too much in it and a new one is out of the question.
    It seems like tons of crap hit this time of year...May be why I say Bah Humbug!!!:confused2:

Also,I was told I should replace the belt. Is this true? Do I need to go ahead and do that also? Probably,,,more dang $ I don't have...:crazy::smile2:

5. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I wouldn't do the job W/O replacing the belt. its a 91 model washer....that belts been on there for a long time. I'm sure its due to be changed.

I do Maintenance in the drycleaning and laundry buisness, I don't work on a lot of household stuff. Most of the stuff I work on makes the machines we have in our homes look like toys. but if there is anything I can do to help ya out when You get the new motor shoot Me a pm and I'll see if I can talk Ya through it. It shouldn't be that hard

good luck

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks Brad, I owe you one. I'm trying to find the part # for the motor now without tearing the washer apart. Hoping I can find it with the model #.
    I'll get back to you when I finally get the part and if have any problems.
    I'll also get a belt when I get the motor. I think their about $10-$13.
    Thanks for the help!:wink::big_smile:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Did you check the belt? Most of the time (and I'm usually working on 480 3phase motors so I may be dead wrong) if a motor goes bad it's due to a a short in the windings and you'll trip a breaker. If you're not tripping a breaker and just not getting movement on the tub and hearing noise the humming noise you're hearing could be a loose belt sliding over the pulleys. Just to double check, pull the belt off of the motor and see how it runs. If it runs ok without the belt, throw a new belt on it and see what you get. Or you should have adjustment in the motor or pulley, tension the belt and see what happens. Also, check your pulleys/sheaves. You could just have a siezed bearing in one of your pulleys and the noise you're hearing is the belt sliding over a siezed up pulley. Hope it works out,

Branden

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the info. I'm gonna tear into it today and try to diagnose it.
    This crap stinks...A week before Christmas,,,like I needed this to happen with all other stuff going on....It could be worse though!
    I'll report back what I hear.
    Thank You all for the most valuable info!!!:wink::big_smile:

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I would bet the timer is bad. When the timer goes bad the transmission does not shift correctly between agitate and spin. You can usually get it to go through a cycle or two manually by turning the dial, then it will get stuck between gears and stall and over heat the motor. When this happens the thermal overload in the motor trips causing the motor to shut off untill it cools back down. The easyest way to test is to unplug and remove the belt, when the motor cools plug it back in and turn the dial through the cycles manually. If the motor runs the timer is bad, if the motor doesn't run the motor is bad. Either way a machine that old is not worth the cost of repair, unless you get the parts for cheap or nothing.
    Good Luck

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont know, sometimes those older washer and dryers are alot better then what you can buy today.
    I had a set I wish I hadnt got rid of compared to the new I bought.
    large capacity isnt what large capacity was 20 years ago.:smile2:

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'm gonna try to tear into it today. Lots of good info from you all. Wish me luck that I can get it done myself. No way can I hire someone to do it for me...
    The matching dryer I spent $50 on and it works like a new one. I don't know...I think I'm going crazy!!!:confused2::tounge_out::big_smile:

Thank You for all the info. The more info I can get the better, this is my first go around with a washer. Wish me Lots of Luck!!!:wink::big_smile:

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Hit Craigs list in the free section.
    I've seen alot of washer and driers given away if you come get them.
    You know women. Toss out a perfectly good set for something fancy like a front loader.

13. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I'll check that out. I bet shipping would cost a small fortune though!:crazy::smile2:
    It'd have to be pretty close to pick it up also.
    Thanks for the info!

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Craigslist you want to plug your own town in , its not an ebay.

I've seen a bunch of big screen TV's given away on Craiglist from the affluent section of Raleigh.
    They get a new TV they want the other one gone. Cant haul it off in the Mercedes so they have a bright idea. We'll get it moved free.

First person to show up can have the 60" big screen TV.:eek:oooh:
    You see some pretty wild stuff on there sometimes.

15. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    John , Not saying that it's the belt for sure, But the best way to tell is just to lift one side and look under it. If it's the belt their will be a Lot of burnt belt rubber on the floor. We have a fairly new May-tag and I have had to replace the belt twice. These new machines have been designed with out a belt tensioner, and a belt doesn't last long. One of the symptoms is it will not empty all the water during the spin cycle. Hope. hope this helps.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks for the post. Its a 1991 model washer. It won't do anything but fill with water. It won't agitate,spin or drain. Sometimes you can turn it on and hear like a humming noise from the lower back part of it. I believe its the motor from its age. It does sometimes make a clicking in the cycle/timer switch. That not often and the humming noise(some when on) is the only noises it makes.
    Check out my first post and I listed all symptoms,what it'd do and won't do.

17. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Oh, and by the way John, That belt is easy to replace, Just start it off the main pulley and give the pulley a little turn and it will come right off and put it back the same way. The first one I had put on I had sears do it at a tune of hundred and fifty dollars, and it took all of five minutes. Not to cool?

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    The last couple times I turned it on it will make that humming sound in the same place and also click in the general area,like its trying to move but can't. I don't know,only thing I know for sure is the only thing it will do is fill. Thats it.
    I'm also striking out on finding the motor...:sad2:

19. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    One repair site I had looked at and said if the motor was getting plenty of power then it was probably the motor,timer or something else. I tested and the motor is getting plenty juice. The belt will also pull freely by hand.
    I didn't see any burnt wires or have ever smelled anything funny. I did remember a while back the washer when agitating or spinning(some not all the time) it would make a squealing/humming weird sound. Usually if we'd stop it and start it back up it'd be ok. Sometimes it'd just run its course.:confused2:
    That motor is a bear to find.....Still no luck!:sad2::smile2:

20. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    you can check the motor with a meter. Check for continuity between the leads for open windings (no continuity = bad motor) and check continuity from the leads to the motor housing (continuity = short to ground= bad motor).

Richard