frightening freight costs

Discussion in 'Boating' started by handsomejack, Jul 31, 2008.

1. handsomejack

handsomejack New Member

State:
    Ilinois
    Quick question, is it common for the dealer to add freight charges to the cost of a new jon boat? Mine wants $825.00 freight regardless of the size of the boat. Seems high to me since I’m in Illinois and the boat is made in Missouri.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Thats what they are wanting just for shipping? If so, I would say dont do it. You can get the boat for cheaper than that. Go to Cabelas and buy a boat, right outta the store. If its a more expensive, special order boat I would pick it up myself. Welcome to the BOC.

3. handsomejack

handsomejack New Member

State:
    Ilinois
    yes, 825 just for shipping and another 300 for rigging

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    If its not too late, I wouldnt do it. If it is, Im sorry. Sounds real high to me, but may be the norm for an expensive boat.

5. handsomejack

handsomejack New Member

State:
    Ilinois
    It's not too late, it's an 1860 Seaark, expensive to me.
    Thanks, I'll take your advise and shop somewhere else.

6. illinois_angler

illinois_angler Member

State:
    IL
    What kind of boat is it and is there another dealer you could try?

Sea Ark is built in Monticello, AR. Look for another dealer or look at a different brand.

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    With the way fuel has gone up the past 2 to 3 yrs I wouldn't doubt that they try and make up some profits somewhere. And guess where it's gonna get made up at... across the bottom line and your pocket book.

Special orders have always cost but that is ridiculous. Just find a jon boat somewhere else and then modify it to your likings.

8. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Find a jon boat somewhere else and modify it yourself. You can probably find a good used one with the way the prices of fuel have gone up there are alot of used boats on the market. Check your local newspapers classifieds and any other avenue of personal selling papers, internet, or other means that you have local to you.

The money that they are trying to charge you for freight is them trying to make up fuel cost. Special orders have always cost a little more but that is ridiculous to say the least.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The $825 charge isn't that far out of line compared to places like BassPro and Cabelas. But just like when you buy a car, everything is negotiable and you can always go somewhere else. In the end you want to find the dealer with the lowest overall price, and how they divvy it up is their worry.

10. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Some company's are adding 14% across the board to what ever the total price is. And there doing that to cover the Sur-charge on fuel to haul it and other things.
    As for special ordering a boat costing more? Never have cost me more. The last 4 that I bought were the same as the ones on the lot. But they were not the color I wonted. So ordered what I wonted.
    Also I looked at the 15 degree 1860 Sea-Ark. And I bought a Loaded 18ft Lund For the same price. That was hull price on both of them. And got way more in the Lund then the Sea-Ark .

Pete

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Consider picking it up at the factory and rigging it yourself. If he can't negotiate with that, tell him to keep it and look somewhere else.