Friends help!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by screen, Oct 1, 2007.

1. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    Thought you all might want to here how friends helped a fellow conservationest.

On saturday a benifit was held for a fellow hunter and fisherman. A man who has helped his fellow man never thinking he would need help himself. A man that just six months ago planted 7000 trees on part of his farm to turn that ground back to nature. A man now needing a bone marrow transplant for lukemia(sp).

Donations of new or like new fishing, hunting and camping equipment came from all over the USA for the auction. You can't imagine the amout of donations that took 11 hours to auction off. Over 100 new guns, some from manufactures and several from Ducks Unlimited. Over 20 framed prints from Ducks Unlimited. Hundreds of new reels, hundreds of new poles, thousands of new fishing lures, line and misc. Anything a sportsman would need was there including five week long hunting or fishing trips including lodging.

A local grocery donated all the food, the owner of the hall donated the hall, all his workers gave there time and a local beer dist. donated the drink. A TV dealer who didn't even know Gregg donated a big screen TV and a Ducane gas grill for the auction.

I could go on and on with the list but the point is that a community of sportsman like ourselves came together to help one of their own and raised $55,000 dollars. Yes 55 thousand dollars!!!
    Just makes me proud to be a part of a community of sportsman who will put asside their own problems and come to the aid of another. A prayer, a doller or your time, it all matters.

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Makes my heart swell to see folks doin good deeds like that.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That was a great story!!! Wished I'd known I'd given someone a guided deer hunt down our way. Keep us posted on your friend!!

4. screen

screen New Member

State:
    Sterling, Illinois
    When I get to a place in time where I need help I would love to know I had such friends.

I am sure Gregg new that and had a good feeling about those friends when he passed away on monday. The cancer had stabelized and hope was a marrow doner would come through for him. Last thursday he got a fungas on his lungs and they started bleeding. The doctors could only make him comfortable as the rush of friends visited him out in the VA hospital in Iowa City.

Friends!

5. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the update. While it is a shame that he didn't pull through, I'm sure he appreciated having so many friends.

-- Rich