friend needs help finding

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by russ, Jan 31, 2008.

1. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i hope its ok to do this, have a friend who is a boc member, that has a older mer. motor, he just got this boat a few months ago. well it seems hes lower unit froze and busted. ive been looking every where for a lower unit for him but cant find one. its a long shaft 1971 65hp mercury. he is a great guy & a very good fisherman, just trying to get him going and back on the water. hope someone has and old mer. out in the shed that they would part out. thanks e1 for any help that you might have.

2. moriverfish

moriverfish Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Russ, have you tried e-bay? There's one on there now for a 1975 65 horse, doesn't say wether it is a long shaft or not. Item #230216965068, 22 hours left.

3. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Hey Rusty, thanks for posting this.

Yeah, apparently I had some water in my LU before my last outing that had froze (beginning of January). Went out and didn't have reverse. Wasn't happy about it but went fishing anyway. I'm lucky I didn't lose my prop, shaft, gears, etc., as my bearing housing was busted and my LU casing was cracked.

Yes, it's an old motor (2 years older than I am) but it sure does purr nicely.

Moriverfish, unfortunately the 1975 65HP won't work, as it's a 3 cylinder motor and has a differnt gearcase.

Mine is the same LU that is on the 85HP on up with the inline 6 cylinders. That's what a local mechanic told me anyway.

4. MoCatfisher

MoCatfisher New Member

There is another option, least on the lower unit...I had the same thing happen on an old Evey, repaired it with aluminum filled epoxy...was just a crack held fine...also you may be able to have it TIG welded, will take some filing sanding etc but better than a new motor......just a couple of thoughts...
    good luck

5. kstrucker

kstrucker New Member

State:
    kansas
    You might wanna try a product called aluminoy. they say you can fix cracked engine blocks, props, and all sorts of stuff. can be found at Aluminumrepair.com . looks like some cool stuff just need the rod and a propane torch.

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    U.S. Boatworks here in KC deals in used LU's and other parts. They sell new but they're also a boat salvage company. I should have thought of them when you first posted this in the outboard area. Could be spendy, I think they quoted me around $1200 for a re-conditioned gearbox for my 75 Evinrude. Not sure if they have any that are just as-is or not but it might be worth a call. PM headed your way with their number, Turtle.

7. Menth

Menth New Member

State:
    Kansas
  8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    RUSS. CALL EAGLE HOLLOW MARINA ITS IN INDIANA BUT HE CAN SHIP, HE HAS A LOT OF OLDER USED PARTS ASK FOR LUCAS TELL HIM PAT COURTNEY REFERED YOU , NUMBER IS (812) 273 9346 hope this helps brother :wink:

9. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I sure appreciate all the help guys!! I finally located one over in Kansas City from a guy named Bill Holst.

Hopefully I'll be back in business by the end of the week.

10. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    thats good news shane, i might be out there sat. you can go up to mud dicth where they damned it up and one good throw you can get all the shad you need, glad you got your parts, ive been getting some nice cats down river havent been up river to see what the bite is like. might see ya sat.