Fried Squash

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Phil Washburn, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i really like fried yellow neck squash, but my wife, not so much. anyone have a breading i can use that will make her like it?

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah Phil, put it in between to filet mignons! :wink:

3. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Phil
    I use House of Autry Seafood Breader for fried squash and fried green tomatoes.......works great

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I'm with Ken on the House-Autry; however, I use the low sodium chicken breader on squash....soak the slices in buttermilk/black pepper for an hour or so, then shake in the breader, let sit a few minutes until moist looking, coat a second time and deep-fry.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem they sell House-Autry in Oklahoma, Phil. It's available in neighboring states (and NC, perhaps someone would send you some :big_smile:).

If all else fails, make the fried crooknecks for yourself and fix your wife a different vegetable. Some people just don't like squash.

http://www.house-autry.com/about-house-autry

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    That House Autry is some good stuff aint it?The plant is in Four Oaks.
    My middle name is Autry.

As far as fried squash Phil.
    Forget the breading. Take and cut that squash up with alot of white onion and throw it in a pan with some bacon grease and fry it ON DOWN.

6. LMHart

LMHart New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I like to fry it in butter till its tender and then cover in cheese. Sometimes I add bacon.

This is not that healthy and might be an attempt for me to eat healthy by saying it has squash in it.

7. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, i looked up autry online and they have several seasonings. which do you prefer?

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hugh. i thought a lil egg and flour was all it took to like fired squash. been picking alot of em here. just for the first time grew some yellow this season. grew zuchinni, yellow tender, and great neck i believe. there some good eats. phil. ever grill them on a squre with a little butter. might try that as well. i like to grill em with shrimp or scallops and pnions green bell peppers kabobs.

9. Iowa_Josh

Iowa_Josh New Member

State:
    Central Iowa
    I've never fried a squash. I tried frying thepumpkin blossoms last summer. It reminded me of eggplant.

10. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    i usually just slice it up cover in olive oil and on the grill for a bit till it gets cooked ,i really like it that way

11. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Phil,the simplest batter I know is regular old beer batter,there are recipes in diner. My favorite way to cook yellow or zuccini is boiled,steamed,fried and grilled.:cool2:

12. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Phil
    I use the regular House of Autry seafood breader not the medium or hot, sometimes I mix beer with it to make it a batter consistency and then dip the sliced squash in it and in the hot grease.

13. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Phil, this is the way my paternal grandmother fixed fried squash....and although my dad WOULD eat yellow squash fixed other ways, he always said nothin' was as good as his mama's.

http://www.examiner.com/x-10350-Ral...Examiner~y2009m6d9-Fried-Summer-Squash-Recipe

Nobody knew what "gluten free" meant back then, when he was growing up. It's good though.....can't think of any ways I DON'T like squash however. :big_smile:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2009
  14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well Mark my name is Gene Autry and you couldnt give me any squash ever made!!!!:smile2::crazy:Jacks Idea was best put it between two filets LOL.I do like Zuchinni though.:smile2:

15. corklabus

corklabus New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My wife usually just flours the squash and fries them. We also steam them with butter and lots of sugar.
    Then there's squash with fried taters and onions with a small dash of corn meal.
    Now for those nasty fried green tomatoes......I hated them dang things as a kid. They always tasted so "sour". Then a couple years ago, my niece, dipped them in pancake batter and it made a world of difference. I eat them okay now without complainin', but that don't mean they're one of my favorite foods. It's more like the eat it and shut up list

16. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Man, that sounds good!:wink:

17. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here is how I fix mine...

Cornmeal
    buttermilk
    eggs
    salt
    black pepper
    garlic powder (not Garlic salt)
    cayenne pepper
    hot sauce

I take about 2 cups of buttermilk and add 3 eggs into it, salt and pepper the buttermilk/egg mixture, then add the desired amount of hotsauce to the this.

Take the cornmeal add salt, black pepper, garlic powder and cayenne pepper and mix. (Note, be sure to consider how much you added to the egg/buttermilk.

Peel and cut squash into slices. Roll in the buttermilk and coat with cornmeal mixture.

I thin take a hot skillet and add olive oil to it, and over a medium heat add squash. When the squash starts to get soft then I turn up the heat until the cornmeal is golden brown.

Most people use flour, but I like the crunchy taste of the corn meal.

S