fried rabbit with milk gravy

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by JERMSQUIRM, Dec 31, 2007.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this recipe was made from rabbit i raised at home.

mix 1/2 cup flour 1/4 cup corn meal and seasonings.
    1/8 tble spoon garlic salt
    1/8 tablespoon salt
    1/8 pepper
    1/8 jalapeno powder (optional
    1/8 paprika

mix in a bag and shake rabbit peices coating evenly.

fry rabbit in oil untill golden brown turning occasionally.

remove from oil. drain pan down till there are just crumbs and a drizzel of oil.

add millk to fill frying pan 1/2 full. add 2-3 table spoons corn starch to a 1/3 cup cold milk and stir in. them pour into hot gravy. salt and pepper to taste.

serve hot with mased potatoes with rabbit gravy topping.

2. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jeremy,
    There's no way that you're a union plasterer,when you can fix a gourmet meal like that. You made me think back to my youth when I used to hunt and kill alot of rabbits and my mother would fry them up and make that rabbit milk gravy and mashed potatoes like you made. I don't have my mother any longer,or the beagle hound that used to round up all of those rabbits, so it's been a long time since I've had any fried rabbit and milk gravy. My wife doesn't like wild game so I don't even hunt anymore. When I seen this thread,I just had to reminisce a little bit. Just looking at that beautiful plate that you fixed made my mouth water.
    Thanks for the memories.
    Glenn

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ME TOO, GLENN!!!!

my wife won't have anything to do with game i shoot, so i stopped shooting it:sad2:

i used to eat rabbit and squirrel that i killed regularly....dad showed me how to clean it and mom cooked it.:roll_eyes::big_smile:

i love fried rabbit and squirrel....Jeremy that made my mouth water...count your blessings buddy!

4. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Wild rabbit is pretty good, but the domestic rabbits that we raise are much better than the wild ones. It is as good or better than fried chicken and just as tender too. :confused2:

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

i love wild game too. squirrel is great. shot 20 last winter and am getting ready to go blast a few soon.
    although this recipe was domesitc. as stated in the first line,lol. i raise them. newzeland whites.

check out the small game thread. there are some more rabbit pics i just posted. BBQedand smoked. all white domestic.

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Looks good Jer., Do the same thing once in a while, usually I just brown my rabbit or squirrel, or turtle etc. and then make the gravy like you are doing, then lay'm in the roaster pan pour the gravy all over and slow roast for an hour or so, about 15 minutes before time to chow, will add drop biscuits to the top of meat and gravy and let them cook until golden, ahhhhh. You know :wink: Matter O'fact, have a bag of turtle in the fridge for tomorrows dinner!!!!! :big_smile:

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yum, i still have the other 1/2 of the famous snapper article turtle from this summer as well as 6lbs from another smaller one. making me want to did it out now.

8. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    You guys are making me hungry, and I'm supposed to be on a diet. LOL Oh well if you'll give me your address and a time for supper, I;ll take it like a man. LMAO
    Later Andy

9. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Man I love tree rat (squirrel) it has been along time since I have had any of that.......wild game fer this house...I figure mamma and kids dont eat it I will:wink:

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Never really gave much thought to the folks that "don't" like game, Grew up on it and its just always been a way of life, wife loves it all, my little one would rather eat deer than beef any day..... Guess I just don't really personally know anyone that doesn't like to eat it..... And fish, wow, look out around here, my 8 year old acts like she is starv'n to death when the gills or crappie hit the table...lol.

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep, same here, i eat probably more meat that i catch or kill at i buy. with the new rabbit farm that will probably increase.

rabbit stew, rabbit gravy, fried rabbit, broiled rabbit, BBQed rabbit, theres rabbit spagetti, rabbit gumbo, boiled rabbit, grilled rabbit, chicken fried rabbit, rabbit and noodles, .....................................................................................................................................................................................................been watching to much forrest gump,lol.

12. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I'm definitely a city slicker compared to you guys. I've had rabbit before, but never squirrel. My old man trapped over 2 dozen squirrels this year. They were stealing his tomatoes, so he trapped them and dumped them out in the country. Maybe next year he will save some for me.

13. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    My son and I raise rabbits too. We hunt and eat about any creature that has a season. We hunt squirrel, rabbits, deer, coons, turkeys, quail, dove, ducks, geese, we also eat everything we harvest. My son has allergic reactions to chicken so he has never been able to eat it. I have always been partial to domestic rabbits. It is probably one of my favorite foods. But wild game is delicious too. Oh yeah....we tear up some fresh fish too....yum-yum. Sometimes I will take a rabbit and boil it off the bone. Pull it into a bowl and add my favorite bar-b-que sauces and have some delicious sandwiches. Wow I'm gonna have to go have a bite.:big_smile:

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    im gonna pressure cook some and make maranara sauce on spegatti.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I just want to know where to get jalapeno powder??

16. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i got mine from billy powell. texas select seasonings. a former b.o.c. sponser.

17. john catfish young

State:
    Kentucky
    That sounds really good. The choices are limitless!

:big_smile:

18. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    My favorite was always squirrel legs..............Yummy!

19. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    MAN that looks good!!!!!! I even licked the screen on those pics

20. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Boy that sure took me back in time,many moons ago. Like some of the rest I can just taste that good ole wild rabbit fryin in the pan.And that gravy hum ,hum good. Too bad we don't have many rabbits around here.Too many doggone foxes around here.
    Now after reading that post I got to go find something to eat.Doggone it anyway:roll_eyes: Thanks for the memery's.