Fried catfish

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by justwannano, Jun 1, 2008.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thought that might get your attention. :smile2:

I just realized that we don't have a catfish recipe forum.
    I was looking for homemade breading recipes.
    Guess I'll have to google it.
    Or... you guys could share yours:wink:.

just a thought
    just

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Have ya tried the BOC diner,and cookbook? Theres a ton of recipes in it ,not just catfish either. Thanks

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    man i have been eating catfish 3 times a week! still haven't got tired of it. i am going to be sick when i have to go back to work, only fishing 2 or 3 times a week... last week i caught a 4 pound bass on cut carp, man that thing looked and tatsed like something out of a fine restaurant! :big_smile: momma has wanted me to bring a bass home for a while, i just feel like a pagan trying to catch bass, haha! the catfish gods smiled on me and looked the other way!

hey here's my recipe if you want one... it's called chicken fried catfish.
    after you trim off red meat and fat from the fillets, i cut the fillets into 'fingers' or strips cut from across the grain of the meat. take 4 eggs and beat them up in a bowl, then add 3 or 4 cups of whole milk. combine that real well and squeeze in the juice of a lemon and a lime. in another container, i take white flour, yes, flour, and pour about 8 cups of flour in there. you can season it with anything. i usually use lemon pepper, 3 pinches of table salt, a light shake over the top of thyme (not too much) and some rosemary (not too much!) mix that up real good too. take the strips and put them in the egg wash until they are good and coated. put them in the flour and coat them real good, then put em back in the egg wash, then flour again. then i put them directly in hot oil, i use a combination of lard and peanut oil at 350 degrees. fry until golden brown and place on a tray with paper towels on it. right after it comes out i will again douse it with lemon and or lime juice. hey, i love citrus!

the double dip gives you that extra crispiness that is so good on fried chicken, hence the name of my recipe. my family, including my wife, wouldn't eat catfish ever until i started cooking it for them. now we have it all the time. hope this helps.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hey Bob.....yep, Richard's correct. There are quite a few ideas for catfish breading/batter/coating in the BOC member cookbook and the BOC diner.

Here's a link for the cookbook.

www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=372

And a link to the diner.....

www.catfish1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=261

There are nine pages in the diner right now, but I did see at least two threads in there about the aforementioned topic. Hope this helps! :big_smile:

Jordan, that thar recipe ya just shared sounds purty durn good pardner. :wink:

5. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Thanks gang.
    Didn't even know there was a diner and cookbook.
    have a good one
    just