Fried CARP

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by dinkbuster1, Dec 30, 2005.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    my great-grandmother used to fix some awesome carp when i was little but i never could get the hang of cooking them....until today. yeah go ahead and call me a sicko but im a big fish eater and have always wanted to duplicate what grandma cooked. the last time i tried to cook one was 5 years ago. the longer i cooked it the worse it stunk and i eventually threw skillet and all out in the alley, the alley cats wouldnt even touch it! i done some research over the past couple months and found out that you MUST remove all the red meat from your filet along with the mudvein. i seasoned with lemon pepper and rolled in cornmeal and just fried up a couple small filets and tried them.......NOT BAD! kinda tasted like whiting but a little sweeter,only problem i had was all the small bones. does anyone here have any carp recipes?

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    mom used to pressure cook them and make patties just like you would if you were making salmon patties. the pressure cooking takes care of the bones. they were pretty good

3. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    scored carp is pretty popular in the midwest. to get rid of the bones scoring the carp will let the little bones cook up, you won't know they are there. i scale the fish, then filet, leaving the skin on. cut out the red, and the mud vein. take a sharp knife and make diagonal slices across the filet about every 1/4 inch, cutting down to the skin, but not thru it. i like to soak it in ginger ale or 7 up, gets most of the blood out. roll them in corn meal and flour. good stuff.

canning is also a good way of fixing it.cold packing in water, dill seed and a touch of vinegar, lightly salted. cook like salmon patties

4. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    My Grandfather always said to soak the fillets in vinegar overnight to soften the bones! :D

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Howdy Dink,
    I went fishing with a friend several years back and he caught a Carp about 5 or 6 lbs. He cut it up like you, but had some really nice fat filets. He scored them about 3/4 of the way through and about an inch apart, then turned them over and scored them inbetween each of the previous ones on the other side. Then he put them in a baking pan with some grease, don't forget to put the lid on. Put it in a preheated oven for about 25 min. at 350 degrees. No bones at all when we ate them, they disolve while they are cooking. It was very good the way he did it. Season to your own taste. Good luck

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I may have to try that one cathunter! When I was a kid, I remember my dad would bake it in a tomatoe sauce and onions. As I remember it then it wasnt bad, we just spit the big bones out and I dont remember the small ones! Several years ago I tried my hand at it and it was awefull!

7. silver_dollar

silver_dollar New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wouldn't it be easier......to just......

get a rope.......and hang yourself?

EATING CARP! :eek:

8. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    obligatory carp recipe:

1. take carp fillets and wrap them in foil.

2. place fillets on hickory plank

3. put plank and fillets in fire, turning periodically.

4. when the bottom of the board is scorched, the fillets are nearly ready.

5. throw fillets away and eat the board.

9. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    That is very similar to a saying that my grandfather uses. "Carp is the kind of fish that you put on a plank in the oven, then you take it out, throw away the carp and eat the plank."

10. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    im sorry there just aint no way i could or would eat carp. just aint no way. i know lots of people who say get rid of em etc well nope i cant say just destroy them some like them just not me. give me a cat bass trout salmon anyday

11. Jamey

Jamey New Member

State:
    Pegram, Tennessee
    Amen! I ran into an old man at the dam one day who swore that there are 2 thin strips of meat on a gar's back that taste better than any other fish out there. I'm gonna have to take his word on that one.

12. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

carp gets a bad rap. i eat it from time to time its not bad at all

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    im sure that in clean waters,the carp has a fine tast. around here the rivers are too polluted to eat them, or any large fish for that matter. read your local fish consumption advisories.

14. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    I think Id rather eat a steaming turd with sugar on it than a carp

15. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Things that make you go "hmmmmmmm"! lmao!

16. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Carp were introduced all over the country as a food source and was greatly enjoyed in fine resturants across the country. What led to the demise of carp as a food source were two events: the increased yield of saltwater fishing coupled with the advent of refrigeration and the polution of most rivers.

Yes, you need to keep track of polution advisories on carp as well as ALL fish.

Where the polution has been greatly reduced as in the Missouri and Mississippi rivers most fish are again edible.

The biggest factor in good eating meat is preparing carp correctly. Keep the fish alive until you are ready to clean it. Cut the veins on both sides of the tail and let it bleed out. When you clean it remove the red meat. Score the meat as described above. I tend to score about every 3/16". Soak the meat in saltwater overnight. Rinse and cook.

If you don't like the result, then probably, you don't like fish.

17. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
  18. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    there is just no way i would ever eat a carp. id starve to death first. ate some years ago id rather eat a car tire. not trying to slam people who like carp its like with any other fish some like cats some dont some like trout some dont carp aint no way nope nope nop.

19. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I grew up eating Carp.I must have been 21 before I found out they were not fit to eat.

20. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    when bleeding them should i leave them alive or is it ok to put them out of their misery?