Friday the 13th.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Mark J, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Does anyone know where the superstition of Friday the 13th comes from?:wink:

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    WHAT! I'm shocked! Somethin you don't know. The end must be near. LOL!

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    George,
    Don't be shocked. The only reason Mark doesn't know is that no one knows!!!
    There is no single widely accepted explanation of it's origin...W

4. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    The origins of Friday superstitions are many. One of the best known is that Eve tempted Adam with the apple on a Friday. Tradition also has it that the Flood in the Bible, the confusion at the Tower of Babel.
    The origins of the Friday the 13th superstition have also been linked to the fact there were 13 people at the last supper of Jesus, who was traditionally crucified on Good Friday, but it probably originated only in medieval times. It has also been linked to the fact that a lunisolar calendar must have 13 months in some years, while the solar Gregorian calendar and lunar Islamic calendar always have 12 months in a year

:spiderman:

5. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    13 is supposed to be an unlucky number. Then the movie "Friday the Thirteenth" came out and the unlucky day thing became more widespread. I'm not sure why or how it all began.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    October 13th of 1307 , a Friday, King Philip the 4th of France had all of the Templars arrested.
    Thats the best I can do and I've seen it referenced in several of the Templar books I have read. Whether its where the Friday the 13th omen was born I dont know but its plausible.

I read alot of Templar material because it fascinates me and they contributed in 200 years to what the world relies on today.
    The Templars created the first banking system. Up until that time you carried what you possessed or risked it to theft.
    King Philip was in debt to the Templars up to his throne and knew they had storehouses full of wealth and the banking system. His thought was to kill them all which he did by cooking them at the stake, not burning.
    In doing so he would claim all their wealth and be out of debt.
    He never claimed anything. He couldnt find it. Jaques de Molay was tortured unmercifully for its location. The king had his feet covered in bacon grease and placed in close proximity to hot coals. When the king asked where the treasures were Molay cast the charred bones of his feet to the foot of the throne in defiance. Life was brutally cheap back then.
    So is born the search for the Holy Grail.

I work with a Mason. We have long conversations about the Masonic Lodge and how they tie into the Templars. Its fascinating to say the least.
    For instance. The Templars wore white hassocks with a red cross and hatched the first banking system.
    Switzerland today has the most secretive banking system in the world. Ironically Switzerland's flag is red with a white cross.

The last grand master of the Templars was Jaques de Molay.
    Ironically the youth group of the Masonic Lodge is called the Demolays.

It goes on and on.
    Once into the history of the Templars its hard to stop. Truelly fascinating and fascinating that although they aren't still here with broadswords and mace they live on.
    They were the Catholic church's army and a formidable one.
    They also had the largest land holdings. Not stolen or claimed land but bought and paid for and given land.

If you get a chance, do some Templar reading.

7. Esox Hunter

Esox Hunter New Member

State:
    Birmingham U.K.
    Yup:

Travis gets my vote, I'm inclined to stick with that one.

P.S.

FEAR of the number 13 is called "Triskeadophobia"

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Wasnt it a plot between the King and the pope? Didnt they both want to put an end to the templers?

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Some good reading, thanks for sharing. Lots of explanations out there.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

I cant answer that in detail but you are on the right track but I think its more in line with the pope being afraid of the king.
    One thing I learned I never knew was that the papalcy has not always been in Italy. It used to be in France which is more undestanding of the fact that the pope would fear the king's wrath on himself.

11. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    If you want to read a really good book that touches on a lot of the secret societies of the masons, templars and the catholic church then read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. This is a great book that you will not want to put down. This book was the predecessor of the Da Vinci Code by the same author and a much better read in my opinion.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I dont view the Masons as a secret society. Its not difficult to become a Mason. Just dont wait to be invited to become one.

The templars were different. My understanding is they were hand selected and only one man could be selected from each generation of a family.
    Your grandfather could be a templar, your father, and you. Each one could have been selected from multiple siblings. Sometimes the selection was difficult as there might be 2 or 3 siblings closely matched in mind and physical attribute. the youngest child could be selected over the eldest child. A vote was cast and the selected started schooling long before his actual induction. After they were inducted they werent told all. They learned bits and pieces along the way if they continued to study. If they didnt study , they didnt progress to more knowledge or degrees.
    Some boys were groomed from a young age to become templars.