Friday Sept 8th on Potomac River

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by jonnycat, Sep 8, 2006.

1. jonnycat

jonnycat New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Launched from Marshall Hall at 1:30 this afternoon. Bait was a little hard to find but I managed some large minnows and sames sized shad. Heading to a fishing spot I saw another fellow throwing his net. He waved me over and we talked for maybe 15 minutes during the slack tide. He gave me 5 white perch and I gave him the small shad in return. Well I headed on up river to search for a place to fish. I thought I saw a ball of bait fish so I began throwing the 8ft net again. Next thing I know here comes the fellow from before towards me with a big smile on his face. He gave me 2 nice cutter sized shad and off he went. On the first set up I got a 20lb blue cat that was a real fighter with the current on his side. Next hole produced a 16lb'er. Had to head home by dark so while I was on my way to the truck, I spotted the guy again.Swung by to tell him thanks again and he'd picked up 2 fish at 26lbs a piece. It was a beautiful day on the water. Heading to Richmond on Sunday evening to hit the mighty James with my oldest nephew(27 yr). Hope the tourny has good turnout tomorrow. I have a family picnic to attend for lunch and early afternoon meal. Later for now---jonnycat

2. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    Good report there Jonnycat. I fished friday and sat night. Lots of bait, cutter size gizzades just inside of High Point on the occaquan. When we pulled in on that shallow flat there were 100 cutters in the air at one time in over a 100 yard area, spook fron the OB sound. Not sure why there is so much bait at high point but 2 weeks in a row they were there. Sat night I put in up river at Pohick, to save on fuel, and had to work for bait but did get some cutters on the south bank of Pohick bay. It was kind of slow quanity wise for us but size wise was good. 1st night, top 3 were 39,35,24 lbs. 2nd night 35,22,12. We did loose one fish that would of been 30 or better. The weeds were terrible both days. We would and mark out some fish in cleaner water just to have the weed/trash run us down. Anyway did you have a weed problem also?

3. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    sounds like you guys had a good time.

4. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    Where is high point on the occoquan? I have been catching my bait in belmont bay all summer, but have noticed it is getting much harder as the year progresses. Earlier in the year, I'd have plenty of bait within 20 minutes. Now it is now taking me an hour just to get enough shad to fish a few lines. Any tips you can provide would be much appreciated.

Also, do you have any luck with the big blues that South on the river? I launch out of Leesylvania and would like to hook up closer to home. I have been fishing Ft. Washington all year, as it's the only place I've had luck catching 20+ pounders.

5. Billy Tucker

Billy Tucker New Member

State:
    Manasszs Va
    When you heading up rver from Leesylvania High Point is right at the mouth of Occoquan bay where you see 3 red clay humps from Lees. From the bank out 100 yards is real shallow out form the red bank humps but back towards occoquan in front of the rock rip rap its 5 to 6" of water. Thats where the bait was from the rip rap to the point there on the potomac where the PRFC marker is. That shallow flat at high tide can have a lot of fish on it but mostly smaller. Bottom is hard there and in the spring a lot of stripers run that area also.

6. mohicks

mohicks New Member

State:
    VA
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try the next time I'm on the water.