Friday on the Wabash River

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by bnorth, Jul 14, 2008.

1. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Spent Friday night on the banks of the Wabash til about 1am. Didn’t catch much other than this 5 and a half pound walleye that took a 6” live bluegill. Didn’t even flutter the rod tip- I decided to check my bait and there he was. Unfortunately, he managed to take the 12/0 hook I was using pretty deep in his throat. I tried to cut as much of it out as a could without hurtin’ him, hopefully he made it. The only picture I got was this lousy cell phone shot.

The night didn’t get interesting though until about 12:45am. My buddy and I were sittin on the bank with the lights out, praying for a bite (anything but gar) when we started hearing a whole lotta partying going on upstream. Sounded like someone up and moved a tailgate party to a raft on the river. Wasn’t long before we could hear the buzz of an outboard headed towards us. It didn’t take me long to realize that these drunken idiots were throttle wide open, with no lights, headed straight for the log jam we were fishing. Luckily for them they didn’t hit it head on, but I was already moving my butt out of the way! They ended up hitting the submerged junk and some stickups at the end of the pile. It LAUNCHED their boat in the air, and I’m willing to put money on there being at least two foot of space between the bottom of their boat and the river. They managed to land safely and stay in the boat (barely), but you could tell their outboard wasn’t producing much power. From the way it sounded I’d say they lost at least one blade off the prop. You’d of thought that’d slow them down some- nope- they kept on truckin’, hoping and hollering on downstream, drivin' it like they stole it.

What a way to end the night.

Attached Files:

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    haha its sad what some idiots will do when drinking. i have never been on the wabash but i was always told that it is definately one of those rivers that there is no need to even fly on at night reguardless of being drunk at night. at least they didnt flip their boat because then what a mess you wouldve had in front of you. that was a nice looking walleye tho. i dont get to see too many of those around here much. i see a lot of sauger but its rare to get a walleye

3. MNeffle

MNeffle New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ben-

Do you catch many walleye in that streach of the Wabash ? That was a nice size eye. You never know who or what you might run across at night on the river.

Mike

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Mike, I can't say that I catch many. That's only the second one that I've caught, the first being about a third the size. Of course I don't target them specifically either. Both have been caught with slip rigs on the bottom.

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The bite is still slow or nonexistant down here too. I boated a 9 lb. blue Saturday that had absolutely no fight in it. Still spawning, or is it the weather & water levels? I dunno, I hope it pics up soon. Later, WRB.

6. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I am betting it has to be a little bit of both. What are water levels looking like down your way Barry?

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It was 14.6 on Saturday at Hutsonville, it peaked at 16.7 ,today its 16.5 and on its way back down.

8. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I probably know them southenders. Or their dads. Every time they come visit me the cops seem to show up. Go figure.

9. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    nice catch Ben! i caught a 23in. walleye about 3 years ago flathead fishing. it hit a six in. gill set 2 ft off shore. it ran the clicker a bit and stopped. i walked over to my pole and waited for the next run. it took off again and i hit it with enough gusto that i sailed threw the air past me and landed in the weeds behind me! i was alone, but was so surprised that i said out loud GD your a walleye. lol thats the only one i have caught up her in the river.

10. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL:smile2:

11. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Yeah the last thing I expected was a walleye when I reeled it in. If it weren't in the 'Bash I might have considered eatin' him.

12. killmore

killmore New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice fish bnorth. ever fish on the kankakee? or the Tippy? I'm always looking for new spots to fish here in the northwest part of the state.

13. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I inderstand that! I work with alot of idiots. Fortunately they don't fish!!!

14. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Never fished the kankakee, and the fishing I've done on the Tippy has been minimal. Hopefully I can get some more time in on the Tippy, I know there are some decent flats to be had in there.