Friday Night "Non"-Report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by JPritch, Jul 28, 2008.

1. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    3 hours with the gillnet yielded 3 stinking shad. Bait has never been that slow for me. Then my engine quit running and I had to get towed in. Nice fellow in a 9.9hp jon towed me back in, and people fishing off the dock (Deep Bottom) helped as well with handling the ropes and offering beer. It's great to know people will still help their fellow man. I forgot their names, but I thank them very much. The guy in the jon was in the process of loading up for home when I needed the tow b/c he couldn't catch a single shad, so I gave him mine and he went back out to fish. So the timing worked out for everyone. I got tied off to the dock, and there was a pontoon backing down and they wouldn't stop, and I told them I was broken down, but they kept coming, so I had to hand maneuver my boat out of their way. They weren't rude or anything, just their awareness wasn't up to snuff. There was an open ramp on the other side of the dock. Out about $75 in gas, and now gotta take my boat to the shop b/c I couldn't diagnose what the problem was. Won't stop me, I'll be fishing again soon.

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sorry about the bummer trip, perhaps the next one will be better. Good luck to you

3. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was up at Osbourn Boat landing 5am Saturday and found 3 shad in a plastic bag. Was the guy in the jon boat from Harrisburg....?? Just wondering he gave me his leftover bait. Too bad about the fishing and the boat. I had a skunker weekend also
    later
    david

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Wow!..Rotten luck Josh. Hope the problem is minor. It's been awhile since you fished. It could be Darned ethanol gas. Stuff sucks in moisture like a spong. Check to see if you got water in the gas tank. Water in the gas has stranded me twice. If that's all it is, you're lucky. dump out the old, put in new gas and you're good to go. I got my fingers crossed for you buddy.

5. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    He was from Virginia Beach.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Boy that sucks. Nothing like getting all geared up to go fishing and then have that happen. I know it has happened to me a couple of times. Go get the next time.

7. jwfish

jwfish Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Hope everything is ok with the boat Josh I remember my second trip down there I had a throdel cable break lucky I had my kicker motor on the boat was stuck in reverse.Guys at the marine at hopewell fixed me up good and cheap only 100 bucks part and labor.I will be back down there in november hope to see some of you.Jerry