Friday night in New Ulm, MN

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by The J-Man!, Jul 25, 2006.

1. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    We had a fun night of bank fishing Friday night/Saturday morning outside New Ulm. We have had a lot of success there in the past, and while we did not catch a hog this time, we landed a few. Not to mention 3 young dads all got a night away from their families (we live in the Twin Cities).

We started with two carp on nightcrawlers before dark that went about 14 pounds each. They fought like champs! Once the sun went down we put on some bullheads and waited. While we waited, the beer started flowin', the fire started roarin', and the food started cookin'. We only had a few runs in the night, but we each caught a flathead. Mine was as small of one as I have ever caught (maybe 1 pound). It couldn't even get the 4 inch bullhead down its throat, it was rolled up in his mouth. The biggest came about 5 am, when we had all dozed off around the fire. The bell jolted us and we all ran to the pole. After letting it run for a minute, my buddy set the hook and brought in a decent 15 pounder (flathead). It had about a quarter-sized hole under its mouth about where the gills come together, I don't know if it was hooked there before, or what, but it was weird.

We had a great time, as we don't get to fish as often as we would like these days (having young ones around and all). I'll post pictures when I get them developed later this week.

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Sounds like a great time. Way to go on getting some Cats.
    Its nice having a night out with the guys.
    thanks for sharing the story
    Larry

3. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    Sounds like you had a night to remember. It's great to hear you're having fun with the kids.

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sounds like a blast,Congrats on the fish!

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Congrats on the fun night! You fished right in New Ulm?

6. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    A couple miles outside of town by some quarry. There are a few good spots near there. The Cottonwood River flows into the Minnesota River right where we fish.

7. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Cool I havent fish that area but I know where you are talking about.

8. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    I have been fishing that stretch for years, I have caught some real nice big flatheads there. I probably won't be back down there until Labor Day weekend.

9. catfisher77

catfisher77 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    hey, great story glad to hear you guys had some success, man how i would love to do that myself some weekend. i to am from the st. paul area, well actually north of there. i live in stacy, but i know where you were fishing as i am from a town not to far from there, sleepy eye is the name and when i go down there i take my nephew's fishing on the river. my oldest nephew who is 9 yrs old is absolutely addicted to catfishing so when i go to visit we too will hit the cottonwood river or venture north and pull an all nighter on the minnesota and go after some big ones.
    there is no greater felling than seeing the joy in a kids eyes when you ask them if they want to go catfishing. well next time you head down there maybe you'll have to drop a line and maybe we could introduce you to a few new spots.

10. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Alex...
    my fiance grew up in New Ulm, and used to hang out in Sleepy Eye quite a bit. We now live in Eden Prairie, and take a few trips down that way to camp on Lake Hanska.
    Never fished in New Ulm, but am very familiar with the area from Mankato to Belle Plaine.

11. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    well sounds like you all had a lot of fun and its good you make sometime for your self to get some catfishing in i too have a lil one and shes two. its hard to get a way but now i normally take her with me to catch bait, she loves to reel in my pole and hold the fish. thanks for sharing!

12. catfisher77

catfisher77 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    ryan,
    thats's pretty cool, wierd how we are kinda all connected in one way or another. have you fished the mankato area lately? i haven't fished there since i moved from there, my friend and i would go on the judson bottom road and fish for flatheads with bullheads down there. always had luck there, where the blue earth river and the mn river meet. so how was fishing on hanska? i've heard the walleye's are pretty nuts on that lake now.

13. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

dude(Ryan) is that streach shore fishable or is that out of the boat?? Ive been dying to fish that strech but there are so many fishable spots closer, that a havent made the pilgramige. I hear there are some nice holes with insainely dense populations in that streach.

14. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    There are plenty of spots all along the area to fish from shore. With the river as low as it is, its pretty easy pickings... just find a bar of some sorts, and with the river bending as much as it does, there are deeper holes all over the area.

The lake Hanska fishing has been something else. The walleyes are thick, but so are the bullheads. Last time I was there someone caught an 18+ lb northern, and the same night a 7+ lb walleye was caught.