Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
caught around 15 fish from 2 lbs the biggest over 20 ish lbs

with several 7 to 25 lbers

didnt have the camera with me in the boat forgot it in the house and on my way back to the ramp to go in I met a buddy of mine and gave him the 5 i was gonna keep .

they had caught a nice 30 lber and some others

they bite was better then i thought it would be with them shutting the dam off around noon .

Im betting monday or sometime next week the turn it back on .

caught all my fish on live bait . from 6 foot deep to 30 foot .

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a good Night Scotty. What is the deal on them not running anymore water then they are? I plan on coming down next Friday night and hope they are running some water.

2 answers why

A- they shut it off because the missouri and mississppi are flooding so bagnel and truman need to hold the water as long as they can until those 2 big rivers go down a tad .

B- because they just want to mess up the fishing for the weekend guys lmao they do it all the time

solution blow the dam up lmao got any dynamite ???? lmao not really

on the bright side the longer they hold the water on truman the higher its gonna get so when they do turn it back on it will run longer threw this summer .

the fishing in june will be awsome once again !!!!!!!!

so will july hee hee

why drift for dinks on truman when ya can catch whales on lake of the ozarks .. hee hee

· Registered
752 Posts
Thanks Scott. That is what I thought about shutting it down so us weekender's can't catch so Meany fish. O well a few good ones a week is enough to keep me coming back. 160 miles one way a trip. Momma won't let me make two Meany trips a month.

· Registered
1,810 Posts
Ed and I fished below Bagnell Friday nighta and caught one nice channel right away and then nothing. Lots of pecks, but that's about it.

Scotty, when the water is off do the fish head down river?

· Registered
1,449 Posts
We got there Fri afternoon and caught a 32 and 4, then nothing 'til 10:00 and left (at the boat cable). Sat was much the same with 2 smalls. I have never hit the flow. Sun we went up to Roscoe and could not believe the water! Channel was 40'+ and the fields near the O were 10-15'. I could not believe all the water and we hit another bagel. My friend was cleaning the smalls and thought they had eggs, but were just stuffed with shad/minnows. Mr 32 went back into the river after pics. It was his PB and at 67 it made his trip! Busy this week, but perhaps next week. PM if hookup wanted.

· Registered
1,449 Posts
Your tip of a long anchor rope is a good one, but I was curious if a drift sock is a good or bad idea. Also, the bottom seemed smooth with few current breaks near the boat line. Is it better on the side? I live on the Missi and it flows fast at high water, but wonder if the O is very turbulent during the discharge? Thanks

· Registered
3,549 Posts
Ive seen guys use drift socks out the back to keep the rear from swaying Mike. Weve used two 5 gallon drift buckets tied on each side towards the back before and it helps. Normally with that much current you wont sway too much unless there is a heavy cross wind. Not a lot of bottom structure right up at the bouys, lots of fish caught there though when there running water. Might also try down where the two channels meet by the little island on the channel ledge. The blues will follow along the ledge, cast a few into the channel and a few on the shallower side to see whats working best. There is a hump or two around in the main channel and thats where I like to be during a high discharge, they will hold behind the humps to get a break from the current, I just can't tell ya where they all are LOL.

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep they shut it off on the weekends at times so the local hillbillys can get em all during the week days LOL.
The water is sure muddy but it should be a good week.
http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/water_reports/lakepool.txt

Scotty, I got a freezer full of turnips from the amish boys..hehe... About time for some camp fire flathead fillets and fixins....
good deal troy !!!!!

I took the amish fillets last week while down they are gonna change my oil 3 times and I got a whole bunch of green beans , onions ,tomaters and other cool stuff ..

man they give ya a good tip for each big fish ya lettem keep .. last fall they gave me 250 $$ tip after the 2nd trip all 3 guys got a fish over 40 lbs in 2 days .

and brought me all the beer dad and I could drink hic up lol

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ed and I fished below Bagnell Friday nighta and caught one nice channel right away and then nothing. Lots of pecks, but that's about it.

Scotty, when the water is off do the fish head down river?
not allways ive had many good trips in town after the first couple weeks after they shut the water off .

i talked with several folks that caught some good fish in town some 10 to 68 lb flatheads being caught in or close to town below the dam

and some blue cats from 5 to 30 lbs in town

i fished in town a couple times last week and caught a few in the 20 to 30 lb range not a bunch by no means average trip was around 15 fish or so perday

I went down river many miles with pretty much same results on the blue and flatheads .

now dont get me wrong yes after the water is shut off for several weeks I do feel the fish move down river but not all of course !!!

right now fish are everywhere from shallow to deep and moving around .

its not the winter pattern no more now where ya can find large groups of fish together that will stay in 1 spot for many days .

they are moving and feeding so you must do the same right now or wait them out to move to you .

after the dam stays on and keeps running 24 hours a day the fishing will get better below the dam and in town . but again if they stop or dont bite i move and move again . unless I get lazzy lmao

constant flow or constant shut off for days on end ya know stable conditions is allways best fishing to me .

my feelings on this and opinion this year they have yo yoed the water alot

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
seth when they shut the water off 1 of my favorite ways to fish for them is to spider rig with several rods out around the boat with live bait suspending them 2 foot from the bottom to around half way up the water colum

Ive caught my bigger fish doing this with baits 8 to 10 foot off the bottom or so .

sinker size is key in my opinion if its calm with no wind 4 ounces will keep the baits down and your line straight down also

with a slight breeze i move up to 8 ounces or so to keep the lines straight down to insure not as many tangles or hang ups

this method is very hard to do if the wind is blowing but can be done , if you have a trolling motor point your boat into the wind and move as slow as you can .

· Registered
711 Posts
seth when they shut the water off 1 of my favorite ways to fish for them is to spider rig with several rods out around the boat with live bait suspending them 2 foot from the bottom to around half way up the water colum

Ive caught my bigger fish doing this with baits 8 to 10 foot off the bottom or so .

sinker size is key in my opinion if its calm with no wind 4 ounces will keep the baits down and your line straight down also

with a slight breeze i move up to 8 ounces or so to keep the lines straight down to insure not as many tangles or hang ups

this method is very hard to do if the wind is blowing but can be done , if you have a trolling motor point your boat into the wind and move as slow as you can .
Good tip. Thanks.

· Registered
1,979 Posts
I been a little under the weather so to speak this week, but I'm feeling better now and I'm off Fri. so looks like I'm gonna roll to Warsaw Thur. after work for an all nighter and beat it back home on Fri. before all the Holiday/weekend warriors take over. Full report and hopefully some pics by the weekend. :fingers-crossed:

· Registered
4,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I been a little under the weather so to speak this week, but I'm feeling better now and I'm off Fri. so looks like I'm gonna roll to Warsaw Thur. after work for an all nighter and beat it back home on Fri. before all the Holiday/weekend warriors take over. Full report and hopefully some pics by the weekend. :fingers-crossed:
glad your feeling better rob !!!

go gettem buddy can wait for the report and pics while im stuck at home lol

catman1979 did good tonight just got off the phone with him he caught around 15 to 20 fish he said and got a 30 lber

and the gates are still open

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.