friday 12/26 fishing trip - 48 Pound White Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by riverhobo85, Dec 26, 2008.

1. riverhobo85

riverhobo85 New Member

State:
    VA
    i was fortunate enough to fish today. i was in the pamunkey river. we got out on the water by 10 am. got set up on the spot and cast. within the first five minutes two of the three poles had gotten bites. first fish weighed 12 lbs second fish was 23 lbs. then no bites for about 45 minutes. as soon as i got relaxed and got out my lunch and put the pole down, my pole got a bite. nice fight, after a 10 minute fight finally boated the fish, a very nice almost completely white 48 lb blue. moved to another spot and got set up. it started to rain lightly. saw a nice rainbow. about 15 minutes into being at the second spot we caught a 8 lber. caught many more small fish between 1 and 5 lbs at this place. right as we were leaving, i had already reeled in and pulled anchor when my friends pole tip slammed into the water. we fought the fish and weighed it, 58 lbs. a new boat personal best as well as my friends pb. all fish were released. i did not realize my camera battery was dead and failed to get any pictures. will be fishing again tomorrow will post that report as well. happy new year to all and hope everyone got what they asked for!

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks for the great report. Were you guys above or below the ramp at the Pamunkey Indian reservation?

3. riverhobo85

riverhobo85 New Member

State:
    VA
    above the ramp it gets really really deep between there and west point.

4. critter68

critter68 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, Virginia
    My cousin, his friend and I went out of West Point today. Went up to the creek that ends in front of the reservation but not into it. We caught a bunch between 10 and 20 lbs, then at one spot we couldn't keep lines in the water so many fish were biting. I threw one line in about 5 feet of water and told them that one would catch the big daddy. All of a sudden they seemingly turned off. I told my cousin that big daddy was about to hit and all the little ones were letting him have his pick of all the juicy shad morsels. Sure enough, 2 minutes later the shallow water line starts screaming off the reel and Chris reels in a nice 33 pounder. We didn't get anything else after that, though we had one more good pulldown which Rob lost. I'll be fishing the Potomac tomorrow. I'll post that report then.

5. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Sounds like a wicked day. Sucks on the camera thing, had that happen a few times.