Fresno Cats

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Levi_in_Fresno, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Levi_in_Fresno

Levi_in_Fresno New Member

State:
    California
    Where do you other Fresno guys like to hook up with some cats? I fished just below the Pine Flat dam last night, there where three other guys there, a few strikes but no fish landed. We all lost several sinkers and hooks, the water is moving pretty quick out of the dam.

I lost my only good catfishing buddy a few years back......that is he's still alive but he got wrapped up in some druggie chick in Visalia and started doing Crank.

I found this site out of a California Game Fishing magazine and hope to find a few guys to fish with.

If you know of a good spot to hook up with a few cats drop me a line. I have been doing alot of bass fishing lately, I haven't caught a cat in about 3 years. The last cat I caught was a 9 lb. channel cat out at the Sportsmans Club on the San Joaquin.

Look forward to meeting some of you and good luck! :wink:

2. Catfishhunter85

Catfishhunter85 New Member

State:
    Fresno, CA.
    Whats up Levi,
    My name is Derek and I live in fresno,
    when I go for the cats I will go to the Mendota slough, James Road, Bass Ave and the sloughs surrounding the Mendota area, Eastman, Hensley and Millerton lake. I have not been to pine flats. Just a note about the mendota slough, I personally have never had a bad experience there, then again I have never been buy myself there, but I have heard it can be a dangerous place if you are fishing by your self. Just something to keep in mind while night fishing at Mendota slough.

3. raildan

raildan New Member

State:
    ca
    welcome,i agree when night fishing sometimes you come across some of the mendota local drunks who don't come out for the kittys.that being said it's always better to have a buddy with you for safety for any bad spot you might find yourself in:eek:oooh:.as far as hooking up try to post a day or two when and you will get a brother or two who will be more than willing to wet a ine with you:wink:. again welcome brother

4. Levi_in_Fresno

State:
    California
    Thanks guys.....
    Millerton? Catch anything good there? I fish Millerton for Spotted Bass, but never tried for a cat. I saw a few big blues swimming under a dock by the dam up at Bass lake a month ago. How far is that slough, I know it's out the 180 but I have never fished there. What about Eastman and Hensley? Any quality cats coming out of these lakes lately? I'm planning on getting out next Saturday night to try my luck, if anyone's up for it we can pick a spot and give it a go. If not I'll let ya know how it went. I'm thinking the slough or Eastman.

5. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Going out thursday very early to the slough. Call me at 476-7366 if anyone want to hook up with me and Sam. I AM BAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacK:crazy:

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Dude, Millerton stinks for cats, but the creek there by winchell cove is productive and for stripers too:wink:

7. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Good to see you BAaaaaaaaaaaaaaak, Robb. We've all been thinking of you.

8. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    "He's Back"!!!!!!!!!
    & All I have to say about that is:
    "Yea"!!!!!!!!!!
    :wink:

:0a25: Back Buddy!

9. Levi_in_Fresno

State:
    California
    Any of you Fresno area guys fish the Moen Lakes / Gravel Pits / Sycamore Island Park ponds on the San Joaquin River. It's just five minutes North of Fresno and big fish are regularly landed. Right off of the 41 on Childrens BLVD. Exit. Here is the website, check out some of the cats in the photo gallery. I fished it for a few hours and caught some nice largemouth bass. I haven't fished it for cats but I have seen nice ones landed. I'm gonna catfish it on Sunday if anyone want's to go. Levi 559-593-0058

www.sycamoreislandpark.com $9 to enter $4 or $5 to launch boat

:wink:

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    go to the canal on i-5 above coalinga there are some hogs the by the harriss ranch feed yard

11. Levi_in_Fresno

State:
    California
    Thanks I may give it a try.

12. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Levi, thanks for the post and the link to the island..... You know the fresno river... San Joaquin... use to be a big river.. and was quite a "navagatable river" years back.... lots of law suits, killling etc. for the water that "god" gave to us...... Steam boats/side wheelers came up from San Francisco....

It's a shame that it is not "somewhat" like it use to be.....

welcome to the BOC.... get active and bring the Fresno area back to the "sportsmen"

Tight lines.......... Bayrunner Ray

13. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California

:0a18:

:0a34:So... glad to see ya back dude.....

like.... without you on the BOC its like something is missing......

"puke work" and all that crapola......

let me know when you want to "flathead" and w'ell go to blythe and catch you a "flatty".... its as easy as going to the clovis water park.... LOL......:smile2:

"when your down and out.... stand on your toes"... You can do it babe......

give us a call if you need anything......

:0a30: Bayrunner Ray

14. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    I haven't even heard about sycamore island but those are sure Fresno looking dudes LOL looks like some nice fish out there

Ok heres what i've heard about Millerton , out by the damn drop an anchor with a huge hook full of anchovy or grass shrimps theres some huge sturgeon and cat in there, HUGE!!!!

soon as I get a boat its what i'm going to be doing, I did catch a nice 1 pound channel cat off the bank once at Millerton so they are in there, night fishing is only aloud in one 1,000 sq ft. area of the lake which is unbelievable no boats allowed on the lake after dark and no bank fishing ANYWHERE except in that one area its B.S

15. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Hey Levi, so sorry to hear about your buddie, another good spot for cats is lake isbella I dont know if you have evr heard of it but its close to Bakersfield.

16. keith20

keith20 New Member

State:
    california
    where are the fresno cats at?i whent to the auqa duct off of I5 bye the harris ranch feed lot and cought moss.i was useing stink bait and liver not even a bite all knight .i guess im spoiled to privet pond fishing

17. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Sycamore Island sounds cool. I am going to go out this weekend overnight and see if I can't pull out a big cat. I keep hearing people talking about flatheads. I thought flatheads were only back east and in the south. If anybody knows where to catch a flathead in Cali let me know and I'm there. Another good place to catch nice cats is Lake McClure just east of Merced. About an hour and a half drive from Fresno. The fishing is great all around. Bass, cats, trout, crappie, etc. Trust me and try it. Lake Isabella is another place I heard is good, but never been. That place is definitely on my list. Pine flat is another good lake to fish for cats. Fish the creek arms and coves and you might pull out a nice blue cat. I guess everywhere can be either hit or miss at times, but you never know unless you go. I know a lot more spots for cats. So if anybody is interested just hit me up.

18. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Hey man im dying to hit them cats up how big are the size in mcclure? and in pine flat?

19. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    That is nice to know. I once caught a small bullhead at Millerton, but nothing to brag about. I might have to go try the big hook with the grass shrimp. I have heard stories about big cats and sturgeon in there too. LOL

20. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    Yeah me too about 1.5# bullhead and some other channels mixed one about ten a buddy caught do you know any spots to fish for the bigs at millerton or moreso mcclure?