Freshwatet to saltwater

Discussion in 'Boating' started by J. Percy Priest, Dec 1, 2008.

1. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    Well, we have a 115 hp mercury nitro bass boat. and how would we go about taking it into saltwater. do you need a saltwater boat to do so. or do you just have to flush out the boat/engine after each use in the saltwater?

2. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    I made the switch to salt water last year,just keep your motor,boat,and gear rinsed and you'll be good.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Hook them ears up and flush out that motor. Also, Don't neglect the trailer.:wink:

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Good info Geo. but do not forget the trolling motor keep the contacts sprayed and cleaned because the foot control is not sealed like a Great White

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Flush the motor out when you're finished. Rinse everything off real good including the trailer. I would put some dielectric grease on any exposed contacts to keep them from corroding, but that's pretty good advice even when not in salt water. Most of your trailerable boats around here (Chesapeake bay and its rivers) use "non-saltwater" motors with no problems. I will repeat though....DO NOT neglect your trailer. They usually only last 10-15 years if not rinsed off. This is why you cant really find any painted trailers around here, they're all galvanized. If your lights get wet, i would get some submersible ones, cause the bulbs will rust into the socket, and the socket will crumble from galvanic corrosion.....you know, 12V with salt on a contact...been there done that, got some new lights to prove it. Don't sweat the saltwater, just go and have fun.

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I agree with all the above post rinse every thing of including yor rods and reels:0a22:

7. J. Percy Priest

J. Percy Priest New Member

State:
    Murfreesboro TN
    ok thanks guys! great info

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hello everybody, how about the wheel bearings on the trailer, should they also be checked for corrosion? Is there there special grease for saltwater?

Jaime

9. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I used to do alot of salt water fishing, I would stop at the car wash on the way out of town and wash everything. Then when I got home I would do it again, and spray down rods and reels with a lubricant and flush out the lower units with fresh water.

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Water is water in that regard. Whatever grease is viscous enough to keep the water out should also keep corrosion from happening. Its a good idea to repack the bearings once in a while anyway.