Freshwater Fishing Trends:

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, May 25, 2009.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    From http://www.dnr.sc.gov/news/freshwater.html

Lake Hartwell:

* Striped and Hybrid Bass: Very good. Lamar’s Fishing Cabin reports that striper are schooling on humps and main channel points and are being caught free lining and on topwater pencil poppers.
    * Largemouth Bass: Very good. For spawning fish look in pockets and throw soft plastics. The topwater bite is turning on and frogs and buzzbaits are both working in the morning and during the day worms fished around secondary points, boat docks, and in the backs of creeks will all work.
    * Catfish: Very good. During the day and at night look in the mouths of creeks and off points – the fish are heading back out to deeper water.
    * Crappie: Fair. Although most crappie have backed out of the shallows and moved out to 18 to 20 feet of water where they are holding in standing timber and brushpiles, a few fish can still be found shallow. As always jigs and minnows are the key.
    * Bream: Fair. Fish sandy flats with crickets and red worms.

Piedmont Area
    Lake Russell:

* Catfish: Very good. Fish around riprap near bridges with cut herring.
    * Largemouth and Spotted Bass: Good. Captain Wendell Wilson reports that right now the percentage of the bass catch that is largemouth bass instead of spotted bass is much higher than usual, and some good sized fish are being taken. Fish are coming off the beds and beginning to target the spawning blueback herring on main creek points and secondary points.
    * Crappie: Good. Crappie have mostly completed the spawn and have moved out to slightly deeper water. Brush in 10 to 11 feet of water is the most productive, and one angler reported catching 35 fish on 35 casts over a particular brushpile.
    * Striped Bass: Fair. For the best chance of hooking up with a monster fish down near the dam with large herring on a free line.
    * Bream: Slow. Bream have not moved shallow and started to spawn yet.

Lake Thurmond:

* Striped and Hybrid Bass: Good. Striper are making their way down to the lower end of the lake from the Clark’s Hill Dam up to Parksville and over to the mouth of Keg Creek where they will hold until mid-summer when water temperatures get very hot and the fish seek cool water up near the Russell Dam. Good action is being reported pulling umbrella rigs, fishing Rebel 3000s or Cordell Red Fins, and free lining herring.
    * Largemouth bass: Good. Topwater lures and swimbaits are working very well including Sebilles, the Magic Swimmer, and the hot new Sprow BBZ-1 Shad.
    * Bream: Fair. The bream spawn should begin on the current full moon.
    * Crappie: Slow. Crappie fishing has been tough but a few fish have been caught in the Cooter Creek area tight-lining in 10 to 12 feet over 18 feet.

Lake Wylie:

* Catfish: Excellent. Captain Rodger Taylor reports that the channel catfish bite on Lake Wylie is hot on cut bait and some nice fish up to about 10 pounds have been taken. Drifting with fresh cut shad or strips of white perch in water around 20 feet deep and working towards the backs of coves is a good plan.
    * White perch: Very good. Look for bait in the cleanest water you can find and drop minnows and spoons down.
    * Largemouth Bass: Fair. Sporstman’s Inc. reports that the bass bite has been tough and fish may have been in the post-spawn doldrums for the last week or two. Lizards, worms, and buzzbaits are popular choices at night, and during the day smaller fish are holding on the banks.
    * Crappie: Fair. Fish should have already spawned and moved deeper but trolling has brought limited success.
    * Bream: No reports. Bream should turn on at this full moon and start to be caught in good numbers.

Midlands Area
    Lake Greenwood:

* Catfish: Excellent. Captain Chris Simpson reports that the channel catfish bite has been on fire on Lake Greenwood, and drifting big fresh shrimp in 5 to 15 feet of water in the backs of feeder creeks is catching lots of fish. Cut bait is catching fewer but bigger fish.
    * White Perch: Very good. The white perch are starting to ball up in tight schools. Fishing with Sabiki rigs with 5 or 6 hooks will allow you to catch numerous fish, and it is not uncommon to fill every hook on the Sabika rig with a fish.
    * Bream: Very good. Look for an excellent spawn this full moon and search in protected coves in 2 to 3 feet of water with crickets and red worms.
    * Largemouth bass: Good. Fish have mainly spawned out and the largemouth bass bite is starting to go into a summer pattern. A high percentage of fish are being caught early in the morning on topwater plugs and floating worms.
    * Crappie: Fair. The crappie bite has slowed and most fish have backed out of the shallows and moved out to shallow brush in 6 to 8 feet of water.
    * Striped Bass: No reports.

Lake Wateree:

* Catfish: Very good. Captain Rodger Taylor reports that drifting for small channel catfish and blue catfish up to 20 pounds is very productive right now. Threadfin shad are numerous and massive schools can be seen near shore within easy netting range; these make a great cut bait. Cut white perch fished in 15 to 22 feet are a good option for a big cat.
    * Crappie: Good. Marc Danque at The Crappie Hole in Chapin reports that crappie are scattered and most of the fish are still relatively shallow in 6 to 8 feet of water and generally less than 15 feet. Long line trolling with jigs in red/white and blue/white has been most productive.
    * Largemouth Bass: Good. Largemouth are still on the beds and some successful anglers targeted bedding fish. Buzzbaits and topwater lures are a good choice.
    * Bream: Good. Bob at A&B Outfitters reports that bream are around docks but with this full moon they will move onto beds in shallow water as little as 1 or 2 feet deep.
    * Striped Bass: No reports.

Lake Murray:

* Bream: Very good. Look for fish to bed in water as shallow as a few inches and down to about 3 feet, with most fish seeking out about 1 foot of water. For bluegill use crickets and for shellcracker fish sections of nightcrawlers.
    * Striped Bass: Good. Lake World reports that striped bass are schooling around the dam, in the Ballentine area and around Beaver Creek. Free lines, down rods, and cut bait off points is also catching fish. Fish will also be targeting spawning blueback herring on paints.
    * Largemouth Bass: Good. The blueback herring spawn is starting on Lake Murray and Spooks or swimbaits fished off main lake spawning points will both work. Later in the day Carolina rigs thrown up on these same points are a very good choice.
    * Crappie: Good. Best fishing is coming 8 feet deep over 12-15 feet of water near brushpiles. Dooley’s reports that one customer caught a mess of crappie ¾ of which were still filled with eggs and so some fish must not have moved to the banks to spawn yet.
    * Catfish: Fair. Captain Chris Simpson reports that good numbers of catfish are being caught right now drifting cut herring across flats in 35 to 50 feet of water.

Santee Cooper System
    Lake Marion:

* Catfish: Very good. Fish may be found in 15 to 20 feet of water early then may move out to 40 or 50 feet of water as the day progresses. The shallow night bite is faring better than the daytime shallow bite, and anchoring with cut bait is working at night. Most any type of cut bait will catch fish.
    * Bream: Very good. While the full moon is the traditional bedding period for bluegill and shellcracker the spawn seems to have been better on the new moon this spring.
    * Largemouth bass: Fair. With up and down water temperatures and a deluge of freshwater flowing into the lakes this spring the spawn has been delayed. Fish the shady side of cover on sunny days and both sides on cloudy days, and on cloudy days fish more open water. On sunny days stained water is a good option. Soft plastics are a good bet as are topwaters early in the morning.
    * Crappie: Slow. The fish appeared to be moving out to deeper brush but the bite is tough right now.

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    As always, you are furnishing us with valuable and interesting info, Tommy! You are a great asset to our group and all fishermen in general. It won't let me rep you again until I spread some around, but I'll get back to ya!

Bill in SC

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    No thanks necessary, Bill. Just passing on the info...

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I know you may be just passing along info, but just taking your valuable time to do so makes you an asset. Don't be so modest! :wink:

Bill in SC

5. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the info, fished Thurmond today right below Russell Dam not much luck water seemed down a bit should of fished down river between Parksville and Modoc.

6. deerhntr22

deerhntr22 New Member

State:
    Greenville, SC
    Mark...do you fish Thurmond regulary for cats...and if so can you share some knowledge with me on it...I fished once there for cats right at the dam...depth finder was non-functioning and I guess I was fishing at 100+ ft:embarassed::embarassed:...so thats probably why I didnt catch anything...i did catch a HUGE gar as I was floating a bream head like 5 ft from the surface being silly...:smile2:

7. catmandosimpsonville

catmandosimpsonville New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Do you guys ever wee a fishing report for Monticello? Other than talking to PopPop :tounge_out:

8. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    yes just call simpsonator pop pops buddy :tounge_out::tounge_out::eek:oooh:

9. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    That's funny right there!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

10. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    LOL..I GUESS this is an inside joke that I am missing :cool2:

SUNBIRD!! Where ya been bud? Give me a call somethime and congrats on the finish at Monti!!!

11. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    The joke is not about you, sorry!:wink: It's another dear friend!:eek:oooh:

I been changing diapers man!:tounge_out: I blew my boat motor May 2nd.:angry: and my laptop melted down a few days later so I been getting things fixed around here. I got the computer fixed for free from a friend but the motor fix is gonna cost $1700!:crazy::angry::embarassed: I should be getting the boat back anyday now. Thanks for the reps on Monty tourney!:roll_eyes:

12. catmandosimpsonville

State:
    South Carolina
    cool and that is somehting I DONT miss is changing the diapers!:confused2:
    Justsent you a PM but maybe we can hook up during July 4th if you are going to be around then.
    Will you be able to make the breakfast meet and greet?
    I know you missed the last one, btw there is a thread on the breafast meeting on laker and rivers, post either way if you can make it or not.
    Later,
    Jim