Freshwater Eels

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by kenmany, Sep 12, 2006.

1. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    Hello all! Just curious about freshwater eels. I have heard alot about them but really know nothing about them. I havent even seen one, except in books. Does anyone know anything about them; Are they everywhere in NC? How does one go about gettin some of these rascals, etc.? I always use live bluegill and usually do pretty good but would just like to experiment with some eels. Thanks guys!

2. cockroach

cockroach New Member

State:
    florida
    fishing here in no.fl. on the river, normal fishing with rod-n-reel ells don't work too well, but on a limb line after dark they seam to do fairly well. don't know why , but thats the way it goes. cockroach

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Some people on here say theyr'e great bait and some actually eat em' !?
    Me I keep as a pet so theyr'e off the menu... LOL

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Click on the Blue Search up above and type in "eels".You will get all we have on this great bait for many fish.Eels are also considered a delicacy by many all over the world.Best of luck.peewee-williams

5. da-cajun-angla

da-cajun-angla New Member

State:
    louisiana
  6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

www.northcarolinaeelfarm.com

they have a link to places that sell eels, I have yet to catch any in an eel pot are by rod and reel. They are in the Cape Fear River for sure but as to other river sytems I have no idea.

7. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    you can catch them on the bait u use for any other fish,,, its just luck of the draw if you actually get one.... ive caught only 1 in my life,,,, i caught it outta pine creek in pennsylvania... it was a nice one, about a foot and a half...

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

www.nceelfarm.com/

www.nceelfarm.com Is the correct address sorry about the mix up

9. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i catch them in eel pots and on rods too. catch some up to 3 feet. am getting new pots soon and will have more than can shake a stick at for this fall run of big blue cats. hope to see some of you guys soon.

10. SpaceAce

SpaceAce New Member

State:
    w
    If you are fishing the Cape Fear, just set some limblines and eventually you will catch them. As far as using them for bait, live bluegill is hard to beat in the Cape Fear.

11. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    When fishing with live eels, ice them down. That puts them to sleep, sorta, and you can get a hook in them real easy. Don't let them get wraped around your line. If this happens, you will have to cut your line.

12. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    my brother and a freind of his boated one that was about 6 foot long slimy thing they put it back in the ohio river from which it came

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    We used to catch them on shiners dead or aliveThey sure are slimey:tounge_out:

14. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for all of the great advice and also the picture was awesome. I cant believe I have never caught one of these things. Oh well, maybe I will be able to find some and get to try them out soon. Thnx again brothers!

15. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Eels work really well for channel catfish bait in my area!

16. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Kenneth, you can purchase eels at Riverside Sport Shop down there in Fayetteville but be careful the last time we bought eels from there they died within a couple hours and they should be able to live out of water as long as their skin is wet.

The eel farm where riverside gets the eels from actually had to close down...
    and all the eels were destroyed....I think the eel farm is back up and running now

Eels work great you can hook them whole or use them for cut bait. I think the NC state record flathead was caught out of the cape fear on live eel.

hope this helps and good luck.

17. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    or if you are down my way i now have some eels. put in one small trap last night and got 50 by time i got off today. yes the place you are talking about john had a fungus outbreak and had to close to clean tanks and all. the state record flattie was caught on a eel that was cut in half and thrown into some low trees. hope to get together soon and try some new spots and try a couple old ones too. shockers should be off water soon. they have not been on water much this year because ramps closed and all . so should be some nice blues for this fall.

18. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I'll be ready brother...